Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swift Conqueror 655

Options
  • 02-07-2009 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Does anyone on here own a Swift Conqueror 655 and if so what do you use to tow it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭db

I don't have one myself but that is a big van - over 1700Kg so your towcar will need to be at least 2000Kg to pull it safely. You will need something bigger that a normal family car with a decent size engine. I tow with a VW Caravelle which is just over 2000Kg and has a 2.5TD engine. You are likely to be over the limit for a B license so you need to take that into consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Kilree

db, Thanks for coming back to me. I don't actually have a 655 but am seriously considering a used one of about 2 to 3 years old as the layout appeals to me. As you say they are a big van with an unladen weight of 1480kg and a MTPLM of 1755kg. If I invest I would be towing it with a 4WD Hyundai Santa Fe 2.0L Diesel which has a Mass in Service weight of 1793kg and a towing weight of 2000kg. The reason for the query was, I suppose, to get some comfort that I wouldn't encounter any problems with the outfit. The usual recommendation for beginners is that the van be 85% of the cars kerbweight. In my case the ratio would be 94% though I am not a beginner having towed caravans on and off over the last 35 years. Also I think I would be OK on the licence since it is my understanding that if you passed your test before a certain year you can get your licence upgraded automatically to 7500kgs just by asking.

Advertisement