Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linseed & Turp

Options
  • 02-07-2009 12:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

What is the difference between Linseed oil and turpentine for painting? are they both used or just one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭purplebeach

Hi -I work in an art shop but am not an artist but I would suggest that you visit the following website www.winsornewton.com - they are one of the biggest suppliers of paints etc and their website is fantastic - it tells you what all the mediums/varnishes/oils are for etc and gives you painting tips - I use it a lot when I don't know the answer to a customers question !! With my limited knowledge I believe that Linseed oil is mixed with oil paint to increase its gloss and tranparency and Turpentine is used as a solvent for removing varnish etc /cleaning brushes - I know some people add to the paint but I don't know what effect it has - it's very strong smelling though and I know a lot of artists use Sansador instead as its a low odour solvent. Hope that helps

Advertisement