Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Information on buying a dog

Options
  • 02-07-2009 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi All,

I am looking into buying a Cavalier King Charles puppie but I have never ever done anything like this before and really don't know where to start.

Any info on breeders, where to go, what to do and what not to do would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a million! ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

start on the breeders web sites like ,irishdogs, please dont buy one from the puppy farms no matter how cheap they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Ring the IKC and get details of the offiicial club and start there I'd say. You need to look out for that terrible disease, syringomelia or whatever its called, that can affect King Charles'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Sign up here before you do anything. Lots of experienced Cav owners http://www.board.cavaliertalk.com/index.php

Cavs have been very very overbred and suffer from some horrible health problems. You'll need to be very informed before you go and buy a pup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭looserock

This breed seems to have a lot of health problems these days from what I've been hearing.

If I was buying one, the breeder would need to have documented evidence of all the relevant health checks of not only both parents but of all the grandparents as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

Even if you go through the IKC to get a breeder you are never guarenteed the health of the dog. My advise would be to ensure the breeders has health check checks for both of the parents and grandparents if possible - so that you are at least cutting down your chances of your pup developing any of these horrible conditions associated with the breed. We have always had King Charles and thank god we have been lucky enough so far, one had a heart condition from age 5 but lived to a good old age of 14 in the end with medication. We have recently got two pups - well they are 6 months old now, and this time we asked our vet for information on breeders - we have been with the same vet for years so we trust him, he recommended a breeder to us that had a new litter and could verify for us the health of the parents and grandparents as he was their vet for years!! Even if you are new to this - you could find out from someone you know a vet that would provide good advise on breeders for you and the history of their particular line - even if you go to a breeder to look at pups there is no harm in asking who their vet is and contacting the vet before you purchase!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Stay away from anyone who offers to deliver the puppy to you. You're not ordering a pizza or buying a couch- see where the puppy has grown up and make sure it has been raised well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭Ollchailin

Hi OP, definitely make sure it's registered with the IKC- I don't know a huge amount about dogs (other than the fact that I rarely meet one that I don't like!) but with the ailments associated with the breed at least you know where it's coming from, background etc. Even though that still doesn't guarantee anything but at least it's better than nothing!

We have a Cavalier King Charles for almost 14 years now, and apart from being a little slower and quite deaf, she's absolutely flying it- loves her walks and cuddles. She's a little doll, HUGE eyes- my boyfriend thinks she looks like Puss in Boots from Shrek when he does the "pity eyes" thing!

We've been very lucky with her health, she had to have her womb removed when it got infected a few years ago- the vet said it would take her up to a week to recover from the operation, but the very next day once the anaesthetic had worn off she was running around again! Nowadays she does have a little shake when she stands still but she's not in pain (I don't think). I'd definitely recommend them as a breed- they like their independence but love affection too. If their health is good they're a fantastic dog. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 *Dudette*

Thanks a million for all the information!

I was recommended a breeder in Wexford and met with her last week. I seen where the puppies are bred and also their parents and she can also provide all documentation and health checks.

Won't have it for another few weeks though. I can't wait!

Thanks again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭messygirl

Hey Dudette

I am planning on getting one myself in a few months (November would be ideal!) and was hoping you could pm me the breeders info? I have emailed a few breeders myself but would love to get the healthiest puppy I could, my boyf's aunt had one and he was the sweetest guy, lived til 14 but had arthritis and was going blind, he passed away and it was heartbreaking! We got our golden retriever through irishdogs.ie and he is brilliant, but because the breed has a lot of health problems associated I would prefer to go on recommendation.

Also would love to hear peoples experiences/advice?

Sorry for hijacking thread! :D

Advertisement