Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

'04 Polo: Electro-hydraulic power assisted steering

Options
  • 02-07-2009 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    My car which has given me nothing but grief since I bought it last year greeted me with a new problem yesterday. Turned on the ignition and saw a new warning light. According to the owner's manual it is to do with "Electro-hydraulic power assisted steering" and says the following:

The warning lamp comes on when the ignition is switched on and must go out when the engine is started.

The warning lamp will light up if there is a fault in the power assisted steering aid. You should go to a qualified dealer.

You will need to exert considerably more power than normal to turn the steering wheel if the power assisted steering should fail.

Now I know absolutely nothing about cars but the words "Electro-hydraulic power assisted steering" dont sound cheap to me! My car always seems to have the knack of breaking when funds are pretty low. And this bloody thing only did it's NCT the week before last and nothing seemed to be wrong when it did that...

Anyway- just a few questions

1. Is this gonna be expensive? As with my previous experience with this jalopy I assume it will be as I am broke at the moment.

2. Should I take it to a main dealer? Rip off merchants in my previous experience...

3. I'm heading away for the weekend- will this yoke be ok to drive?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Steering Rack maybe ?

Could be anything !

roughly 1k if it is the steering rack though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭anon11

More than likely just the steering angle sensor, common problem, get it scanned for faults first to be sure:) sensor is around 30 euro plus fitting etc

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Wheelsonthebus

anon11 wrote: »
    More than likely just the steering angle sensor, common problem, get it scanned for faults first to be sure:) sensor is around 30 euro plus fitting etc

Hope this is the case! If it's the 1K option this baby could end up sleeping with the fishes!

Thanks guys- on the other point is this ok to keep driving for a few days or is this an immediate problem (reliable garage near me is always really busy)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭anon11

Ya its no problem driving it:) Just be careful cause the steering could go heavy at any stage;)

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Wheelsonthebus

Ya its no problem driving it:) Just be careful cause the steering could go heavy at any stage;)

Thanks anon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sean196766

can you recommend a garage who did this job for you? really appreciate your help man:o

Advertisement