Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swell - there gotta be some somewhere?

Options
  • 02-07-2009 1:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

i know its summer - anyone know of a place that produces even small waves these days?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭OuterBombie

There'll be some south west wind swell on the west coast over the weekend. The wind is bound to muck it up a bit but the waters warm and it'll prob be worth a grovel.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭tonyfillony

ive been out the last 3 evening in cork . some nice waves to be had donw here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Is there anywhere on the west coast that might catch some of the southerly/SW swell over the weekend? I'd like a surf, but not enough to drive all the way to cork...

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Decos

Judging by the picture from lahinch today there were waves there, 2foot. Looks nice enough.

The weekend out west will have waves too for sure but as someone said itll prob be messy coz of the wind. Ill be out anyway, havent been out in a month coz i hurt my knee but alls good now so im raring to go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

Tramores had consistant surf all week... monday was awesome, anyone see it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

neon_glows wrote: »
    Tramores had consistant surf all week... monday was awesome, anyone see it?

yep, was out for a few hours Monday alright, was great! Given that I'm still just a spectacularly clumsy L-plater I think I spent more time spluttering about taking a hammering than actually surfing though :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

swap the landrover for a surfboard??? haha :D
    surf was nice... give it another bit and youll get there...
    what size surfboard are you riding???

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

neon_glows wrote: »
    swap the landrover for a surfboard??? haha :D
    surf was nice... give it another bit and youll get there...
    what size surfboard are you riding???

:p would be very handy for throwing a few boards in the back of, alright!

I'm on a 7'6 board, slowly but surely getting the hang of it, just not quite as, ahem, "elegant" as I'd like to be just yet :)

Another few days like Monday and hopefully with a bit of practice I'll stop looking like such a clown out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Thanks to a bunch of striking electricians, i'm off work tomorrow! Is it worth a trip to Bundoran or Strandhill or are conditions that bad?? Don't want to waste a day travelling but i'd lov to get out for a run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

Is it worth a trip to Bundoran or Strandhill or are conditions that bad??

Yes... it is that bad and No, its not worth the trip. Feck all happening from what I saw yesterday & today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Bill Cosby

This weekend is looking great for the west!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Last Sunday at Lahinch wasn't that bad at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I would like to take some pictures, the forecast for Sunday looks a little stormy. Is anybody heading in Easky direction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭whynotwhycanti

Hi Thonda, will be up that way myself and be checking out the usual spots along that coast line, easky etc. It looks a bit stormy with strong winds but forecast has them dieing throughout the day so there will prob be a few heads surfing and heres hoping conditions are alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

easky was a lake today, had a nice walk,

this has to be the flattest period weve had inthe north west in a long time

I hope to see some of you tomorrow. Easky will be my first stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

ThOnda wrote: »
    I hope to see some of you tomorrow. Easky will be my first stop.

Took a trip across to Easky on Saturday, flat as a pancake. Had to head up to Bundoran to catch anything worthwhile.

It was like 5.30 by the time we got up there, meaning that it was too late to rent boards. So we went boogeyboarding instead, brilliant fun it has to be said.

Was very near impulse buying a board out of frustration though.. the missus may have killed me for it though :)

I was at Ennishcrone and Easky on Sunday. Took pictures of some dolphins. The waves were not good and the wind was even worse, but I got few snaps.

The best is this one:

3713967770_f97f24c3e3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭whynotwhycanti

nice photos thonda. Cant believe you saw dolphins, been surfing a good few years now and i only ever see seals but they're cool too.

Conditions havent been great for the ol surf but it is summer. Just wait, sept through to may, you'll need new memory cards with the amount of good surf there is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭imaleper

Speaking of dolphins, I saw some riding the swell at reillys of the cliffs back during the intervarsities this year! That looks like a sick wave, just gotta find the way down to it! Check it out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtPkWPoiRAI !!!!

Oh and lahinch was good today, pity I'm stuck in dublin...

W44_F_Image_7_43445.JPG

• Advertisement

I will be adding pictures from Sunday into this set.

This is another I quite like:

3720409189_0ec84ca678.jpg

And yes, I have to admit that I have issues how to crop the pictures, whether I should leave more space on the left or on the right. It's wrecking my head :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

super sharp shots thonda! what lens do you use??

• Registered Users Posts: 31 surfbored

And yes, I have to admit that I have issues how to crop the pictures, whether I should leave more space on the left or on the right. It's wrecking my head :confused:

The general advice for any photo composition is to place the subject (surfer) on one of the thirds, facing 'into' the photo. For a surfer facing left in the photo (on a right hand wave) s/he should be placed one third of the way in from the right, surfing into the two thirds on the left.

Some cameras have lines visible through the viewfinder on the thirds to make positioning easier. This can also be done on Photoshop, which you seem to have the hang of!

Try it and post the results.

Here's me gettin a surf in on my wedding day!

Surfbored - yeah, on a longboard... :D

The lens was borrowed Canon 400/5.6 and it is super sharp. It is so sharp, that I can cut paper with that. Seriously! But I don't have it anymore. There is "More Properties" link on each page with the picture, where you can get other all the information (aperture, shutter speed, ISO,...)

I know a little about rule of thirds, however I have the problem that I LOVE waves before they break and even after. And if I don't crop it, the surfer gets too small.

Personally, I'd love to take pictures from the water, but that won't be possible so easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

Personally, I'd love to take pictures from the water, but that won't be possible so easily.

Yea, especially when a proper housing costs around 1000e :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

Tramore was really sweet today. Bout 3-4ft faces, offshore and really clean. Some damn good surfers out too.

K-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭theo4130

swell soon!
    http://magicseaweed.com/UK-Ireland-MSW-Surf-Charts/1/
    i had a nice surf in keel on sunday morning, no photos im afraid, but i tell ya it was 8' peeling barrelling... hah, nah just bout 2-4' waves, nice enough though.
    if it swells, ride it!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 richy316

there should be a few cheeky waves from sunday on pity about the wind tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭fixieboy

Pardon my stupidity but based on that magic seaweed graph Strandhill won't get the best of this weekend's swell correct?

Will I still get some decent waves if I head up there on Sunday?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

Further North, Donegal

Advertisement