Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on best montessori course

Options
  • 01-07-2009 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi all,
    I am looking to do a montessori course and have got information on a part time one year montessori course with progressive education it costs €3,000, it says that after one year part time you will be qualified as a montessori teacher i was just wondering has anybody done this course or are there any other course's that anybody could recommend. Thanks:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Try Portobello college.. I know a good few people that have done it there, my GF just finished her course last week.

As for being qualified as a teacher, there's different levels of qualifications so u just wanna double check that. There's quite alot of work involved so be prepared for it, I know my GF has spent most of the last year studying and working on projects etc... Best of luck with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭TeenStar

Hi, all St Nicholas Montessori courses are validated by HETAC. As far as I am aware only St Nicholas and AMI are recognised qualifications but I might be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Guru Maith Agut

laurag123 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I am looking to do a montessori course and have got information on a part time one year montessori course with progressive education it costs €3,000, it says that after one year part time you will be qualified as a montessori teacher i was just wondering has anybody done this course or are there any other course's that anybody could recommend. Thanks:)

The last place I'd go would be Portobello as they made a complete mess of the course they ran for Montessori due to the lack of components within the course which meant that students unknowingly had not completed the full Fetac Level 6 as they were missing two vital components and now they are offering them to come back and sit a separate course to indirectly correct the lack of the completed course. Which I may add is not just the two missing components but a totally different course to do with childcare and not Montessori. :rolleyes:

As TeenStar has suggested St Nicholas would be the better option and yes they are recognised qualifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

From what I've heard, St Nicholas would be the preferred one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Gabsdot

If you can I would recommend doing a degree course. Saint Nicholas run them. A degree is FETAC level 8. Under the new ECCE scheme schools whose teacher has FETAC level 8 will qualify for a higher grant so those teachers will be very sought after

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Roxie117

im currently studying montessori with portebello, its a parttime course and unless you can give 7 days a weeks to course work, projects and studying i wouldnt reccommend the part-time course, we are expected to do what a 2yr full time course does in just 9 months.
    hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭emma82

Steer clear of Port!!! They are charging people crazy money for substandard qualifications. When this was discovered they stopped answering phones- now are charging people over a grand to 'upskill' to the original qualification they paid for!!! When thinga sound too good to be true they generally are!!STEER CLEAR!

St Nicholas are much better for Montessori courses ad are rated correctly as such.

The new scheme is also accepting FETAC 7 for higher rate-not just FETAC 8. must be accompanied by an asst that has at least a level 5.

Would you not consider doing a part time degree? LEVEL 8? I'm not sure Montessori is going to be as popular in future when new curriculums come into place from Dept. Siolta and Aistear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 carinerobin

I'm doing the course with Portobello.
    I was not able to commit to a full time course like AMI or Saint-Nicholas.
    AMI and Saint-Nicholas are maybe the best but they offer only full-time course!
    So if you're looking for a part-time, I recommend Portobello. All the part-time courses in Montessori offer the same 6 components for the fetac level 6.
    Before the new regulations for the ECCE scheme, there was no need to have the full award. They were quick to offer a solution to update our qualification. I think the price for the update is quite fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 monted

St. Nicholas montessori would be the only hetac level eight course in Ireland dealing with montessori. They do offer a fulltime course but also a partime night course as well. the full time course takes four years with the fourth year being like part-time as you will be working in a job and go to college at night. the partime course can take you anywhere up to six years to do but it does give you the freedom to work while at college. they also offer a post-grad course which is a one year course. St. Nicholas woud be a progressive college looking at bringing montessori into the modren age. It is well worth looking them up;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Burp Bleugh

I'm doing the course with Portobello.
    I was not able to commit to a full time course like AMI or Saint-Nicholas.
    AMI and Saint-Nicholas are maybe the best but they offer only full-time course!
    So if you're looking for a part-time, I recommend Portobello. All the part-time courses in Montessori offer the same 6 components for the fetac level 6.
    Before the new regulations for the ECCE scheme, there was no need to have the full award. They were quick to offer a solution to update our qualification. I think the price for the update is quite fair.

I agree with carinerobin on this one, my sister graduated last November and was fully qualified to work as a Montessori Teacher (a place she says that she got solely because of the course) and had the goverment not changed the legislation she still would be.

She's signed up to do their Advanced Supervison course to get her full award and it's the same price as the VEC but a lot shorter, I think that the VEC seems cheaper as you've to pay per module.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 P.Institute

I have noticed this thread on Boards and have decided to clear up any ambiguity in relation to our qualification. I am the course Director on this programme. On completion of our one year part time course, you receive a Montessori teaching diploma and 6 FETAC level 6 component certificates. For the purpose of applying for the ECCE scheme they require candidates to have a full major award in childcare at FETAC level 5 by September 2012. They have now accepted the content of our Montessori programme for the purposes of applying for the scheme. We have also developed an option for our students to achieve a full major award in Advanced Supervision in Childcare Level 6 by mapping the learning outcomes of our Montessori course onto the mandatory modules for this full award. This can be done over a 4 month period as apposed to a full year. Please feel free to PM me in relation to course content or any issues in relation to qualifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Guru Maith Agut

That's all fine and dandy to say that now, however if this new ECCE Scheme hadn't come about you would never have clarified the above to your potential students/customers and they would not have achieved the full major award. So thanks for your input but your loyalty as I see it should have been to them and not just pandering to the needs of the new ECCE requirements! If you are going to come on and state facts about you courses then at least state them all and not just nit pick like many of the suits up the Daíl like to do. Free advertising is great but you gots ta roll with the punches and admit your course pitfalls as well as big it up.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Gabsdot wrote: »
    If you can I would recommend doing a degree course. Saint Nicholas run them. A degree is FETAC level 8. Under the new ECCE scheme schools whose teacher has FETAC level 8 will qualify for a higher grant so those teachers will be very sought after

Where did you get this information? Under the terms and conditions a "leader" has to only have Level 5 to qualify with the intention that by 2012 they will get to level 6. The funding is not based on NFQ levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭dogbert27

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Where did you get this information? Under the terms and conditions a "leader" has to only have Level 5 to qualify with the intention that by 2012 they will get to level 6. The funding is not based on NFQ levels.

Just want to apologise to Gabsdot. I found out yessterday that you are correct. If you have a leader with FETAC Level 7 or 8 you will get a higher grant of €75 per child per day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 reggae

Gabsdot wrote: »
    A degree course is HETAC level 7/8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 reggae

hi
    yes it is higher capitation grant for higher level, does that mean higher wages!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mesay

laurag123 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Hi Laura, Dorset College will run the new FETAC L6 approved course from mid-February. It goes for the academic year twice a week and it costs €2450. I'd say just have a look at it, as it seems to include also other methods of Education, together with the Montessori one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Please don't revive three year old threads.
    Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement