Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Michelin Energy Tyres?

Options
  • 01-07-2009 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭

I have these tyres on my car and the thread is still good on them but lately in the wet weather I find the car very skittish and easy to skid on them. (Not very reassuring)

I have tried different tyre pressures to no avail.
    Tracking is good etc.

Anyone else have problem like this with these tyres?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭blackbox

How much tread is left? Don't expect them to be as good as new when they are half worn.

These tyres are designed for fuel economy, not for maximum wet grip.

It sounds like you need to replace them for peace of mind.

When trying different pressures, don't try anything LOWER than the car manufacturers recommendation - you risk a blow-out from overheating.

Manufacturers recommendations are usually the lowest safe pressures as they want to maximise comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭techie

Thanks for the quick reply.

Thread is a good 4-5mm all round.
    My wife has the same car and has Goodyear Optigrips on hers and it sticks to the road so I think I know what to do.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I've have Michelin Energy Savers on my current C5. I haven't put many kms on the car just yet in the wet but I'll look out for what you mention. I had the older version of these tyres on my 2000 VW Bora and found them good. The rear set lasted 54,000 miles!!!! The front set managed 42,000 miles (the tyres lasted longer than the pistons :mad: )

What car are the tyres fitted to?

crosstownk wrote: »
    I've have Michelin Energy Savers on my current C5. I haven't put many kms on the car just yet in the wet but I'll look out for what you mention. I had the older version of these tyres on my 2000 VW Bora and found them good. The rear set lasted 54,000 miles!!!! The front set managed 42,000 miles.

What car are the tyres fitted to?

Car's are Kia Cee'd 1.4 Petrol, my wifes car had the same tyre before the Goodyears and she got 40k km from them but she drives like Ms Daisy so never bothered her :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

Michelin tyres are absolute crap. They last forever but provide no grip in the wet. By far the worst of the premium brand tyres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

samsemtex wrote: »
    Michelin tyres are absolute crap. They last forever but provide no grip in the wet. By far the worst of the premium brand tyres.

I'd have to disagree - I've driven on Michelins quite a lot and have never had a problem with them.

I remember a guy telling me that "A tyre has two lives - it's own life and your life". I took that to mean that you must trade off tyre longevity for grip.

After another near miss on a wet roundabout this morning I bit the bullet and replaced all 4 tyres.

Got Vredestein Hi-Trac's and so far so good, quieter also :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

The other issue of course is the the current weather conditions. A downpour for an hour after a couple of days of hot weather is always a bad thing for roads. At this time of the year its always advised to take extra care and extra distance for braking.

Advertisement