Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Toasted Cheese Sandwiches

• 01-07-2009 4:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭

I've been eating these babies since as long as I can remember. Every sunday night before school, ah the joy. I've matured a lot since then and varied my toasties, preferring the toasted ham, cheese and onion at present. Gorgeous.

I think it's about time that toasted cheese sandwiches be acknowledged for the great cuisine that they are and be given legendary status. What say you?

Toasted Cheese Sandwiches for legendary status? 139 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    88% 123 votes
    This thread is cheesy
    11% 16 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

Honestly very tasty but legend no.
    Reason there is too many different types of ham,cheese,bread and optional addins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

Toasted cheese sandwhiches deserve legendary status!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

How do you make yours OP? My brother used to have a George Foreman which was savage for toasted sandwiches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

*turns grill on*
    yums:pac: capital idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Rebel021 wrote: »
    Honestly very tasty but legend no.
    Reason there is too many different types of ham,cheese,bread and optional addins.
    Yes, but they all consist of the same basic contents, the toast, ham and cheese. Everyone has their own personal preferences from then on.
    The-Rigger wrote: »
    How do you make yours OP? My brother used to have a George Foreman which was savage for toasted sandwiches.
    I use a special toasted sandwich maker. Put two sandwiches in and they come out cooked perfectly in 4 perfect triangles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

The toasted ham and cheese sandwich has to be a legend of the boards. It's easy to make, unbelievably tasty, light weight, nutritious and healthy (in moderation) and beautiful on an icy cold winters day. It gets a yes vote from me, and nomination for the position of "Chief Sandwich of the Boards".

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭littlemissteach

mmmm...there's something really comforting about a toastie! and melted cheese...yum yum....but if the cheese is too hot then arrrgghhh burnt lips and tongue!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Cheese + Brown Sauce!

Seriously its AMAZIN!

Gna have one now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Toasted cheese sandwiches are certainly legends.

The only thing better than a toasted cheese sandwich is a toasted cheese sandwich with a glass of milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Just had two and was looking for somewhere to proclaim my undying love for them... looks like I've found the right place!
    They're simply spectacular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Joeyjoejo

Toasted Cheese Sandwiches with Jack Daniels Barbeque sauce on them.....deadly!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭mooeire

Just had cheese, tuna and beans on toast... It went down a treat :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

I`d have starved to death years ago if it wasn`t for the humble toastie, I owe them my life.

Why do I keep reading bread threads on my day off carbs :mad:

Toasted cheese sambos are pretty damn yum. You have to butter the outside of the bread (the toasty side) for ultimate yumminess.

Why do I keep reading bread threads on my day off carbs :mad:

Toasted cheese sambos are pretty damn yum. You have to butter the outside of the bread (the toasty side) for ultimate yumminess.

My mum always made them like that, and they were gorgeous. But I`ve never been able to replicate it, its` just not the same.

My mum always made them like that, and they were gorgeous. But I`ve never been able to replicate it, its` just not the same.

Ok so, it takes patience! First, you need to toast two slices of bread lightly on one side, the you put your cheese on one toasted side and put the other toasted slice on top (untoasted side facing out). Then you butter the upside and grill until all golden, turn over, repeat! MMMMM.

Ok so, it takes patience! First, you need to toast two slices of bread lightly on one side, the you put your cheese on one toasted side and put the other toasted slice on top (untoasted side facing out). Then you butter the upside and grill until all golden, turn over, repeat! MMMMM.

So thats` how she did it! Thanks Whoops...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭captainspeckle

mmmm.... bubbly cheese!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,582 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Cheese deserves legendary status either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 mrets

ham cheese tomato potato salad mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭619C

Get a Tesco version of the George Foreman - I call mine the Mohammed Ali Grill.
    Grill some rashers first or burgers.
    Place them between slices of cheese between 2 slices of bread then grill again.
    Delicious...
    Even better than a sandwich maker cos it does not hold in the ingredients so they can cool down !!

Toasted Cheese with Tabasco..... mmmmm :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Mjollnir

Hu....wha?

You toast the bread and THEN you butter & grill? And the toasted side goes INWARDS?!?!

That's a variant I've never seen over here in CA and what we call 'grilled cheese sandwiches' has become quite the little gourmet fad here amongst the glitterati in Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, etc....

Hmmmm.... Think I'll give it a whirl. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Mjollnir wrote: »
    Hu....wha?

You toast the bread and THEN you butter & grill? And the toasted side goes INWARDS?!?!

That's a variant I've never seen over here in CA and what we call 'grilled cheese sandwiches' has become quite the little gourmet fad here amongst the glitterati in Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, etc....

Hmmmm.... Think I'll give it a whirl. Thanks.

And who says we're just a bunch of simple paddies over here eh?

The humble cheese sambo toastie is posh food over there......

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭pearliefan

and with a little bit of pepper or herbs on top. Yum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Life savers, except the ones you put in a bag and put in the normal toaster, they're just messy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Grill!

Grill two rashers. Cut 5 slices of cheddar. Slice an onion and tomato. Butter 2 slices of bread.

Put ingredients on one and grill for half a min.

Then put on top slice grill till godlen brown and turn till golden brown.

Raise to mouth and bite... enjoy the tase... hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭wurzlitzer

manys a time after a few pints of the black stuff..i tucked into the old special (cheese, ham, tomatoe, and onion) and the tomato always would scald your chin as it slid out yer mouth as you took the first bite, after smothering the outside of the sambo with butter....

yeah legend...

tuna melt good toastie too!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭merengueca

Cheese, sausage and brown sauce -bloody 'licious

• Advertisement
Advertisement