Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Engineering

Options
  • 01-07-2009 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Just wondering if anybody has thoughts on the engineering omnibus course or the engineering science one? Don't know which to put as my first preference:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

You should of really posted this one in the UCD area!!

anyway yes, i have loads of insight.

Went through the omnibus myself, and my GF is in the Eng Science one.

Ok, so my year was the first one for eng science.
    the course was very v ague and messy.

What is your end goal?

In omnibus you get to try a bit of them all and pick on in the end. Its a 4 year degree and its grand. Hardest work wise being chem and elec, easiest prob civil.

Eng science is a different programme. You get to do various modules/classes from them all whilst begin confined to none. You will have the same first year as the omnibus, and in my year many of the eng science just switched into mainstream engineering when going into second year. This was permitted as their was space and they had done same subjects etc...

Eng science is primiraly based towards a masters. There are various types ranging from biomedical to civil masters. Depending on which one you want to go for the classes you will take in second and third year will vary greatly. Those who are going for Civil masters take most of the civil classes and those going for biomedical will take mainly elec and mech. Mech masters will take mainly mech etc...

However in each of you subject choices there is great freedom. You aren't confined as much as you would be with mainstream engineering. This can work out to benefit or detrement depending on yourself. If you are goign for say a mech masters you might be able to miss one or two of the harder mech modules. This may bite you in ass eventually do if they are required in later years etc...

If you are going for one of the more exotic masters then you will be given a direction and recommendations. But some of these may be beyond your scope of understanding. I know people who got offered a medicine class as one of the modules... backfired insanely! They were way out of their depth and pretty much couldn't pass it. (not due to intelligence etc... person got great grades every year in every class just failed medacone class... think it was neuroscience, has a 20+% fail rate for normal med students like...)

Another problem with eng science is because you can eb in different classes all teh time, it can be harder to make good mates. If you are a shy person etc this could be bad. If not you are fine.

basically if you want a masters now, go eng science but be careful in what modules you chose. You ick one not suited or to hard for you and its your own fault.

If you want a degree and a set class or Chem engineering(dont think eng science offers it) go for normal omnibus.

But honestly you could just go with eng science and once your first year grades aren't to bad you could likely switch into mainstream if you wanted!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭niallfullback

Wow thanks for the great post:)

In the end I put down the omnibus course first over the eng science, nothing to do now but wait and see what happens:D but im happy now that the decision is made.

While I have you anything else I could do with knowing about the course or the college even?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

My friend and I had this same deliemna a few weeks back, so we rang UCD and managed to get onto the head of Engineering, he said Eng Science was best (for us anyway)

Plus, your going to need a masters in the years ahead, thats a give, so do it in 5 instead of 6 years :)

Advertisement