Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

We knew it was coming....Let The Right One In remake

• 01-07-2009 1:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭

It's hard to give this the benefit of the doubt when they've already fuked up the title: "Let Me In". To be directed by Matt Reeves, of Cloverfield fame.
    It's probably not a good idea to bring this up again, but it's going to happen, whether you want it to or not. Overture Films is remaking the brilliant Swedish horror film Let the Right One In and has brought on Cloverfield director Matt Reeves to helm the remake. This was all announced in September last year, but we haven't heard much about it since then. However, the LA Times now has an update from Reeves, and it doesn't sound so bad. First off, the title has been changed to just Let Me In and it's being set in Reagan-era Colorado, mainly to localize it for US audiences, while also keeping it set in a dark, snowy environment.

Reeves explains his experience with the original. Overture asked him to check it out. "I was just hooked," Reeves recalls. "I was so taken with the story and I had a very personal reaction. It reminded me a lot of my childhood, with the metaphor that the hard times of your pre-adolescent, early adolescent moment, that painful experience is a horror." So at least he understands the finer aspects of Tomas Alfredson's film, but will he will be able to translate that into an Americanized remake? Let me remind you that they're going back to John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel for this and won't be just redoing what Alfredson did in his film.

"There's definitely people who have a real bull's-eye on the film," Reeves said, "and I can understand because of peoples' love of the [original] film that there's this cynicism that I'll come in and trash it, when in fact I have nothing but respect for the film. I'm so drawn to it for personal and not mercenary reasons, my feeling about it is if I didn't feel a personal connection and feel it could be its own film, I wouldn't be doing it. I hope people give us a chance."

Reeves also adds that he's working with casting director Avy Kaufman - who previously found kids for The Sixth Sense and The Ice Storm - to find the young actors for this remake. Reeves "vows will not be aged-up to make the film more of a smoldering Twilight-style romance." Thank goodness for that! We don't know too much more about this, including who is even writing the script, beyond that Overture is now aiming for a fall 2010 theatrical release. That means they better start shooting by the end of this year or early next. We'll certainly keep you updated. And we'll definitely let you know once Reeves finds his Oskar and Eli.

I don't like bashing remakes before they've even began production but I just cannot be optimistic about this.

I've just started reading another Lindqvist book "Handling The Undead"...I wonder if that will get the film treatment?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

*sigh* Why do i get the feeling that the remake wont resemble the original at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

faceman wrote: »
    *sigh* Why do i get the feeling that the remake wont resemble the original at all?

Actually I perked up when I heard a Hollywood remake was on the cards. The original was boring and pseudo-artsy. Americana might jolt some life in to this!

To mention that I did try to watch this a few times, it jumped the shark for me when
    the CG cats started attacking yer one.

EDIT: Also what's this thread doing in the "horror" forum!? There was no point in the movie where I felt afraid or jumped out of my seat! That is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

i think cause its about vampires.

ANyway perhaps the remake will be jumpy.
    Well thats one less set of subtitles ill have to read, or perhaps i will watch the orignal who knows.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

chin_grin wrote: »
    Actually I perked up when I heard a Hollywood remake was on the cards. The original was boring and pseudo-artsy. Americana might jolt some life in to this!

Hollywood has brainwashed us into thinking jumpy horror movies and the norm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

chin_grin wrote: »
    EDIT: Also what's this thread doing in the "horror" forum!? There was no point in the movie where I felt afraid or jumped out of my seat! That is all.

Just because it wasn't full of cheap scares at every corner? That outlook really drives me nuts, and is probably responsible for the amount of shìte churned out that passes for horror these days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Just because it wasn't full of cheap scares at every corner? That outlook really drives me nuts, and is probably responsible for the amount of shìte churned out that passes for horror these days.

+1,000,000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Not my point at all! I'm not a fan of the buildupbuildupbuildup SCARY BIT either.

I was stating that the film should be classified as more of a drama as it delves in to the relationship a lot more. Although I didn't give a flying fcuk because I genuinely didn't give a rats about any of the characters in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

This is something I'd wholeheartedly agree with. I think for the most part, Horror can be at it's absolute best when it's restrained and slow-burning. The Shining is a perfect example of this, there was an atmosphere to that film that was incredibly unnerving and imposing, if it was a fast-paced film with lots of cheap 'jump' moments it just wouldn't have been able to build up that sense of dread. Likewise films like Don't Look Now, The Changeling, The Haunting, The Exorcist, Ring and so on. I'd say one of the best recent mainstream horrors was The Others, another beautifully brooding slow-burner.

I'd actually say [Rec] was one of the few fast-paced, jumpy horror films that actually worked as well as the above film.

Advertisement