Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dry cleaner says suit needs to be washed!

Options
  • 01-07-2009 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if this is going to work out..

left suit into grafton dry cleaners here in dublin and was told that suit trousers would need to be washed as the beer stains were unlikely to dry clean out.. i was told that they have done this on numerous occasions and it would be fine.. although i had to sign an at owners risk thing..

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

When a garment is dry cleaned it's not actually 'dry' cleaned.. It goes into a wash machine same as with normal washing.. The only difference is it's washed in a load of chemicals and dried in the same drum so it comes out dry..

I don't really understand why some items are 'dry clean only' when they're going to come into contact with liquid anyway.. Up until recently I thought there was some sort of steaming method or something used..

Duno if this helps your plight.. Just thougth I'd put it out there..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

xzanti wrote: »
    When a garment is dry cleaned it's not actually 'dry' cleaned.. It goes into a wash machine same as with normal washing.. The only difference is it's washed in a load of chemicals and dried in the same drum so it comes out dry..

I don't really understand why some items are 'dry clean only' when they're going to come into contact with liquid anyway.. Up until recently I thought there was some sort of steaming method or something used..

Duno if this helps your plight.. Just thougth I'd put it out there..

It's not so much the water thats going to cause the problem but the detergent. Thats why some clothes are 'dry' clean only. They are cleaned in a chemical bath of chloroethene rather then water and detergents. The 'Dry' just means without water.

OP try going to a different cleaners and see what their recomendation is.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭bonkers

i signed it over and will get the results at 6pm.. for a function which starts at 7pm.. if its fooked where can i pick up myself some cheaptastic and decent alternatives

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Try this thread from a few day ago...
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055392619

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

A huge amount of clothes are marked "dry clean only" simply because the manufacturer couldn't be bothered testing their fabrics properly and they're just covering their @sses. Just because something is marked as DCO doesn't necessarily mean it absolutely must be dry-cleaned.

I wash the vast majority of my DCO items at home inside a pillow-case on a handwash cycle.

• Advertisement
Advertisement