Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rise of Flight

Options
  • 01-07-2009 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭

Interesting new WW1 flight sim on the way....

35.jpg

Aerosoft Press Release:

Paderborn, Saturday, June 27, 2009

"Aerosoft is happy to announce its partnership with the developers of latest Air Combat PC Flight Simulator. Aerosoft will be the exclusive European distributor for Rise Of Flight. In addition Aerosoft will also release this product in the Middle Eastern and Central Europe markets.

Rise Of Flight is the latest in a long list of PC Flight Simulators featuring air combat over the Western Front during the First World War. Together with the Battle of Britain this era is known as ‘the pinnacle of aerial combat’. The best pilots from both sides met in the sky, they were matched equally with machines and conditions not favoring either party. Nothing but the pilot’s skill determined the outcome. Flight Simulator fans have always appreciated the simplicity of the aircraft and weapons of this period which allowed the pilots to focus on the dog fight and not on the systems.

The best known aircraft of 1917and 1918 are included (Albatros D.5, Fokker D.VII, DFW C.5, Brequet Bre.14, Nieuport Nie.17, Nieuport Nie.28, Spad S.13, Royal Air Factory SE.5) and each one modeled in great detail and the simulation of the engines and weapons being highly realistic. The world around you is far from being a static backdrop to your flights. Over 100.000 km2 of highly realistic terrain (including Lille, Cambrai, Reims and Verdun) complemented with a sophisticated weather model, which creates a perfect stage from where you will engage the enemy. On the ground you will see the tanks rolling towards the enemy and the trains and trucks that supply to the front line. The front line is marked with trenches, explosions and is a dangerous area because of the anti-aircraft.

After completing the training flights you can also fly a single mission to perfect your skills. The career mode is the next logical step and you will join a squadron and participate in one of several campaigns. Of course an advanced mission builder is included so you can make your own mission and share them with your friends. If you so desire you can fight other pilots on the internet or join one of the many virtual squadrons.

As always, we will support the product with community forums, help documents, game servers and we will also have our very own Aerosoft Squadron that will try to dominate the virtual skies.
    Rise of Flight is created by the well acclaimed Moscow game developer neoqb and is based on the new Digital Nature game engine. The years of development created a true new generation of flight simulation that makes the best use of modern hardware (including TrackIr).
    The release of the English boxed version is expected in July 2009, the download version will follow in early August 2009. German and Spanish/French versions will follow later."

40.jpg

36.jpg

Looks worth a look....out in the next month http://riseofflight.com/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I'm betting it'll flop. Half an hour to get to 20,000ft... urgh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

It does look stunning and I will be picking it up. I'll let you know how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Its got a mixed bag of reviews so far. Lots of content such as British aircraft is extra apparantly and there arent many missions etc to begin with. The immersion factor, flight model, graphics and realism have been rated as very good though.

Wish there was a demo to see how it would run on my machine. Tempting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Simtech

Download is available. Just getting it now. Anyone else got it? I gather it's largely online play? Anyone know the score?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Yeah apparantly it needs to be online even for single player campaign stuff. Have you got it yet? Feel free to review your experiences with it here...i'm in two minds whether to buy it or not. Need a new war flying sim but i'm not conivnced of it yet. Also not sure if my Athlon 64 3800+ and Radeon AGP 3650 512 are going to hack it so would be interested to hear how it runs.

• Advertisement

Okay, first impressions. Loads of potential! 4-5hrs playing and I'm impressed by what I see so far. I have Dual core E8500 @ 3.6Ghz with 2 x nVidia GeForce 8800GT in SLI. Game runs with most settings maxed (except for terrain detail which is at medium) using 75% video memory. (High terrain would require 149% of what I have. Still, looks great.) Serious lack of documentation though which makes life rather difficult but experimentation is the key to success there, the forums being too new as yet to provide much help. The game is certainly challenging. Missions from startup to landing taking up to two hours. You need to fly in formation to your objective, do the business and fly home to land. Landing is bloody hard. AI is excellent. Actual flying is hard in a good and challenging kinda way. Huge satisfaction on living through that first landing! Online play is something I have never done and I gather it's slow to pick up but connecting to a server seems easy and there are about ten active at 21:00 when I checked. Connecting is from within the game itself. You can, it seems, set up a server very easily, again from within the game so if anyone on the forum here gets this game, let me know and we'll see if we can get something started. Lastly, I definitely recommend this even though there are teething problems. I myself have had no difficulties whatsoever other than at the install stage when the .exe took about five mins to get itself in gear.

Is anyone interested in buying/playing this game? It's addictive and I would like to be able to play with some Irish players. I will be the server. Teamspeak to be used. Anyone??

Advertisement