Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cocker Spaniel Information

Options
  • 01-07-2009 8:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm just looking for some general cocker spaniel information and was wondering if anyone on here knew alot about the breed or knew anyone who did?

I know I can contact the official IKC club but I was hoping to be able to speak to someone on a more unofficial basis.

And before people suggest it, I've read books but just wanted to see what knowledge people have of the breed etc. from having cockers.

It's a nine month old blue roan cocker female that I have.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Is there anything in particular that's worrying you about the dog or something specific you're looking for guidance on?

We have a 14 month old Cocker, and at around 9 months he started getting a little more aggressive and assertive, specifically refusing to do as we asked and growling at us.
    A trip to the vets, and an operation helped to fix it, and he's become a lot more obedient - though still very mischievous.

I try to comb his coat every couple of days. I was advised to use a steel comb and its way better than a brush.

He has a tendency to dig, and loves a run through a stream in the park while out walking. Initially he was a little scared of the water, but he saw other dogs doing it & got brave. :)

Other than that, he'll follow his nose til the end of the earth, and the only thing we've had difficulty with is recall - so when he's out of a secure garden or run, he's always on a lead.

Hi Lemlin

I have a female golden cocker, whom I got a 10 months old (rescue dog). She was as mad as a hatter, and still is very excitable, but is now approaching 3 years old and is calming down a lot. Cockers are bouncy, fun dogs with lots of energy and need a lot of interaction with you - but when they get too bouncy a good walk takes the edge off!

I also have had problems with recall outside of the home, as a result I don't let her off lead - I think cockers are easily distracted!

Other behaviour: she will not tolerate another dog in the house, but that is more likely specific to my dog, as she is very sociable outside of home.

Cockers can be stubborn and don't like to be overhandled and will let you know when you are annoying them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Puppies

Hi Lemlin,

I have a two and a half year old, orange roan cocker.
    My experience is, it is easier to keep his coat clipped, easier to clean etc. He visits the groomers every 6 weeks, gets shaved, nails clipped etc well worth the money.
    He has a very gentle temperment, gets along with all other dogs, although the same as before easily distracted by smells. I find the 'angry' voice works quite well!!!
    I have an area of about 500 acres very close to my house, which allows him to run/swim/fall in holes along with his best buddy a springer. Walking the dog is the key to everything, his happiness and your peace.
    It seems that although cockers have the same sort of mannerisms some can be very wicked and others very laid back (like my own).

Just to go back on the coat clipping thing...
    I've never had our fella professionally groomed, just keep him combed.
    Its a personal preference thing, but if you decide not to have the coat clipped, then you'll need to be persistent with the upkeep.

On a couple of occasions, it has been up to almost a week between combings, and what results is a lot of knots and effort to work them out.
    Make sure to pay particular attention to the ears, all legs & the spot where the front legs meet the ribcage - I find that's where the worst knots are.

I'd agree with what the others have said - they love company, are really bouncy and definitely need a good walk every day to prevent the build up of excess energy.

Interesting to hear that others have problems with recall outside the house. Seems that they have a mind of their own when they get somewhere with unusual smells & will follow a scent to the ends of the earth.

Despite his minor faults, I wouldn't change him for the world though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Just looking for general information. Have pmed you all there thanks.

Interesting to see what you all have said though. The recall thing definitely applies to my dog. She likes to run off on her own but doesn't go too far. The other day some kids starting calling her and she ran off and it was quite a job to get her back though. That said, she never tends to go out of my eyesight.

As well as that, she doesn't like having any other dog in her own area. She's fine away from the house but she often argues with other dogs who are staying in our house with her. She's particularly jealous if another dog comes to any of our family. She has a good growl then!

She's excellent with kids and the vet has commented that she has a great temperament. My partner's 2 year old niece has the odd tendency to be a tad rough with her but the dog never reacts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I have a three year old golden cocker and while she is the most loving dog in the world with us, she can be very wary of strangers. We have to careful when we are out as she isn't fond of kids coming up to her, and because she looks so adorable and cuddly. kids can't help themselves coming up for a pet. We have been trying to introduce her to more people (it's just me and hubby at home) and she is slowly getting more used to people. I find that it is best to allow her to approach people at her own pace rather than have people come up to her and scare her off.

They need a fair bit of exercise, but nothing out of the ordinary. I find a half hour in the morning and 45 mins in evening, is adequate for her. I try then to take her for a longer walk at weekends.

Other than that, she loves cuddles (can't say I've experienced what a previous poster said about over handling - I don't think you could over handle my girl!) she loved teddies and toys and always has to have something in her mouth when she is excited! It's funny when you come home from work and she can't find a teddy, she's likely to bring you a stone/leaf/stick/whatever she can find. I get her groomed about every 12 weeks, their coats do need a bit of looking after.

I've included a pic, any chance of a pic of your blue roan OP? I think they are beautiful, one of those is definitely on my 'wanted' list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Here are a couple of pictures of my Blue Roan when she was a baby and as she is now, six in February.:)

Is anyone a member of the cocker spaniel club of Ireland? I must upload a picture of mine later this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

Here's my Cocker, this was taken when he was about 10 weeks old.

nc6000 wrote: »
    Here's my Cocker, this was taken when he was about 10 weeks old.

He's a beaut. How old is he now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Puppies

Here's my orange roan.....27022008.jpg

Here's my guy as a young fella, when we first saw him aged 5 weeks and at about 2-3 months.
    Must get a more recent one of him...

P7270064.JPG

P9150097.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

Lemlin wrote: »
    He's a beaut. How old is he now?

He's just over the 16 week mark now and about 3 times the size he was in that pic!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Here's my guy as a young fella, when we first saw him aged 5 weeks and at about 2-3 months.
    Must get a more recent one of him...

P7270064.JPG

P9150097.JPG

So cute! I really want another puppy when I see pics like that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

Puppies wrote: »
    Here's my orange roan.....27022008.jpg

Gorgous dog reminds me of my dog Taffie (RIP) who was a orange roan had roughly the same markings.

Taffie used to go under water rat catching down in Dun Laoghaire pier :)

The Cockers do love their water. Mine is always straight into the local lake no bother. Has a great splash around in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Tired

Hi all, I also have a blue roan cocker spaniel,, he seriously is a lil dote, not a bad bone in his body... He is very excitable when he meets new people but just wants to be their friend. This can be a problem when their are young kids around. I have a 3 month old baby in the house, we've introduced them several times but he keeps robbing her socks off her feet hahahaha. He honestly wouldnt hurt a fly... The only thing i can say is a problem is the amount of fur he sheds but hey thats whay happens when you get any dog... :D

Advertisement