Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self build Campervan insurance

Options
  • 30-06-2009 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hey everyone.
    Can anyone please help with insurance for my camper. It is a mercedes 609d and had 26 seats fitted before i started converting. Having told this to a few insurance companies they tell me "NO" its too big and will only insure anything that had up to 8 seats prior to converting:mad::mad: Wouldn mind but i drove the bus for a good few years previous and never had any claims, accidents etc...

Any suggestions please....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Sol_MB

Ye, It is a bummer.

You could try getting it stamped as a camper for tax purposes, when you do this you will have to put down the number of seats, Say 8 or whatever. And simply don't tell your insurance company that it used to be a bus, There are plenty of 609 Vans and many have been converted into campers.

Don't know if that will work, but maybe.

I have said this befor, It's fare enough if our self converted vans/Trucks/Buses don't fit the group policy offered by insurance brokers, but it is an outrage that there are no other opptions.

Post a couple of pics, I love the old Mercs. Also do your seats have seat belts attached to the frames? I'm looking for some?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 merc609

Worth a try anyhow, see what they say to that.
    I will post some pics in the near future no prob. Its away for paint at the moment so hope to have it back early next week.
    I have used 2 sets of seats which were originally fitted to this bus, 1 set of each side of the bus. 1 forward and 1 reverse facing. They are fitted with seat belts to the frame and i also have a couple left in fair condition.
    Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Had this issue with Dolmen a couple of years ago. We had the 709 re registered as an 8 seater bus. After that no problems. But they never really looked either. Either way a stupid rule.

Lived abroad for years and have converted several campers but the monopoly/cartel state of camper insurance here is appaling.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Fanai

bijapos wrote: »
    Had this issue with Dolmen a couple of years ago. We had the 709 re registered as an 8 seater bus. After that no problems. But they never really looked either. Either way a stupid rule.

Lived abroad for years and have converted several campers but the monopoly/cartel state of camper insurance here is appaling.

I second that!

What about a converted truck (HGV) with a camper body on the chassis?
    Does DOLMEN have positive views on those?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Fanai

I'm sorry to announce NO ! It is still a mess in the Camper Insurance Business in Ireland/Eire; as rotten as a medlar ... :ninja:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Fanai wrote:
    I'm sorry to announce NO ! It is still a mess in the Camper Insurance Business in Ireland/Eire; as rotten as a medlar ... :ninja:

I'm sorry to announce this thread is 7 years old

/thread.

Advertisement