Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something Happened today.

Options
  • 30-06-2009 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi.I hope im in the right place but will give it a bash anyway.
    Myself and my 2 sisters were at my Mum & Dads grave today to give it a tidy over.We brought a few new plants to put in on the top of the grave,as i was digging out the holes for the plants my sister pointed out a little bird that had flown on to my Dads headstone and as i looked up it then flew on to the grave more or less beside were i was working,it then proceeded to walk around the grave and pick at little worms & eat away with me planting the plants.Now my 2 sisters & i were amazed at this little very young bird being so brave.We even start joking which one of our parents was telling us something,this went on for at least 15mins.We could not stop talking about it on the way home.It was the first time the 3 of us had been at the grave together since my Dad had passed away in '06,there are 7 siblings altogether.
    Was hoping to get some thoughts & opinions.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭JimmyFloyd

Paranormal?

It was a bird doing as birds do.

Coincidence!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭poms

I love to hear stories like that, its so heart warming. To me, its like one of your parents were there helping out and looking over you. :)

JimmyFloyd wrote: »
    Paranormal?

It was a bird doing as birds do.

Coincidence!

Birds aren't that comfortable around humans, they usually fly off when approached.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Gary10r

ye maybe,but do many small birds fly up & feed away right in front of 3 people.i did think because i was disturbing the topsoil,could be just a brave little fecker.Ta

poms wrote: »
    I love to hear stories like that, its so heart warming. To me, its like one of your parents were there helping out and looking over you. :)

Me Dad did love his gardening:):)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭TaxiManMartin

Birds (especially one particular robin, who sometimes eats of our plates when we eat outside) follow us around our garden when we are pulling out weeds or planting. They are looking for the easy worms.

I know some people want to believe that there is something supernatural going on, but there isnt. Its natural behavior. They see you digging and they want a piece of whatever you leave behind. Some are braver than others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Birds aren't that comfortable around humans, they usually fly off when approached.

Dead people don't usually have any effect on the behaviour of birds.

dvpower wrote: »

hahaha lol!!:D

Birds (especially one particular robin, who sometimes eats of our plates when we eat outside) follow us around our garden when we are pulling out weeds or planting. They are looking for the easy worms.

I know some people want to believe that there is something supernatural going on, but there isnt. Its natural behavior. They see you digging and they want a piece of whatever you leave behind. Some are braver than others.

Look,i have used that 'some people want to believe' thing my self when talking about certain things,but when it happens in a graveyard on a grave thats 6x2ft & it has never happened before & i have done my share of gardening:(,ye do think......but ye it does sound like the robin fella.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

dvpower wrote: »

Who says?

• Advertisement

Who says?

Michael Jackson says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭kshiel

the birds in my garden keep eating the dogs and cats food, I am expecting them to start barking and purring any day now :D they have even started to hop in through the patio doors into the kitchen.

I wouldn't read too much into it but if it gave you and your family members a nice experience keep it just as that a nice experience.:)

kshiel wrote: »
    the birds in my garden keep eating the dogs and cats food, I am expecting them to start barking and purring any day now :D they have even started to hop in through the patio doors into the kitchen.

I wouldn't read too much into it but if it gave you and your family members a nice experience keep it just as that a nice experience.:)

Maybe they are the spirits of the cats and dogs parents - just watching over them while they eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

There are many small birds that will come very close to humans when earth or similar is being worked on. Robins in particular have been known to follow gardeners around to grab anuy exposed worms.

Robins, great tits, blue tits and blackbirds, just to name four, will take food from a person's hand.

Here are three from my garden.

[IMG][/img]Picture036.jpg

[IMG][/img]Picture044.jpg

[IMG][/img]Hand2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭kshiel

Maybe they are the spirits of the cats and dogs parents - just watching over them while they eat.

More like nickin the food, cat and dogs parents still alive.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Kess73 wrote: »
    There are many small birds that will come very close to humans when earth or similar is being worked on. Robins in particular have been known to follow gardeners around to grab anuy exposed worms.

Robins, great tits, blue tits and blackbirds, just to name four, will take food from a person's hand.

Here are three from my garden.

Paranormal or not. Those pictures are great. Thanks for them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

cool pics. forget the birds though, did that leprechaun ever give u his pot of gold or is he always sitting there with that smug grin on his face?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Scruff wrote: »
    cool pics. forget the birds though, did that leprechaun ever give u his pot of gold or is he always sitting there with that smug grin on his face?

No the smug grin never came off of his face, the git. :D

Funnily enough, to go back to the OP's original post, I had a young robin land on my head whilst out the back today. It was quite a young bird as none of it's "robin" colours have started yet and it was still in it's light brown with goldish specks outfit that young robins have.

My point being that I think we all humanize animals when they do something that we may not have known they do on a regular basis and sometimes it comes across as paranormal. Cats, dogs and birds in particular seem to pop up more often than not in terms of people questioning an animal's reaction or action. I think we need to realise with animals that their senses work on different levels to ours and what may set them off would be undectectable to us.

You could argue that a dog staring at a wall and growling is "seeing" something, but it is more likely that he is hearing something that is either too far for you to hear or a high pitched noise and is simply reacting in the direction it thinks the noise is coming from.

The other side of this coin is that I would not discount an animal's senses totally in terms of detecting an unknown or paranormal happening as there is still far too much unexplained out there and so much that we simply do not know ourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

That's a lovely story, OP :). I would have to say that I notice this happening sometimes too. While robins may come up close and follow people around the garden, sometimes it's at appropriate moments that they appear. When I have been with my family taking about my late grandmother, a robin would fly down and land closeby.
    It is very comforting, and lifts my spirit when this happens. Keep an eye out for it now ;)

Advertisement