Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pricey shampoo (say kerastase) vs Pantene or the likes?

Options
  • 30-06-2009 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hey just wondering what shampoo/conditioner any of you ladies would recommend for day to day use? And will it really make a difference if i spend 30 euro on a bottle as opposed to my euro botte off the supermarket shelf? Got my hair cut/coloured on saturday and my hairdresser (not in a pushy way) saying that if I invested in a good shampoo/cond it would do my hair wonders......

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Mrs Shankly

Hi,

I honestly think you do notice the difference between a bottle of Kerastase and €1 supermarket shampoo, and if your hair is coloured, you're definitely better off going away from the €1 shampoo, as I found colouring can make my hair dry.

In saying that, you don't have to spend a fortune, you could go somewhere in the middle- John Frieda's shampoo and conditioners are about €8 a bottle- L'Oreal are really good too- and by the same people that make Kerastase!:)

The Pantene ProV Restoratives shampoo and expression are, in my opinion, the best shampoos around,I have tried loads of the mid range ones John Frieda, Andrew Collinge, etc.
    Cheaper, Sunsilk, Timote (sp?), reg pantene, tresemme
    Expensive, Kerastase, Bumble and Bumble.

I always go back to the €6 a bottle pantenes

Pantene gives me what looks like giant Dandruff. :(

I find revlon shampoos good, and they are cheap as chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭kavanagh_h

I am seriously allergic to both! Do you know that although pantene makes your hair feel gorgeous it can be used every day to strip the colour out of your hair. That and Fairy washing up liquid. My hairdresser told me that!!

It can't be healthy to use these products on a daily basis!

I use la roche posay as its the only one that leaves my hair feeling okay and that I am not allergic to. Wish I could find a conditioner that i wasn't allergic to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭valery

Pantene repair and protect. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭insert-gear

Was told the same about pantene shampoos, which is why I posted the brunette shampoo thread!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I've found Pantene to be the best all round. I've tried many of the salon (expensive types) and the premium supermarket types. Pantene really works - the one for curly hair really suits my hair type, while the ice shine one is great when you want to straighten hair. All the different types have a different effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Herbal Essences for me :)

I have very dry wild hair but it's all soft and silky and shiny since I started using Herbal Essences about 2 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

Brilliant brunette! Heaven, makes my hair super shiny, just as good as kerastase tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Pantene makes my hair limp and greasy. I started using Aussie recently and my hair has never been in better condition. I usually have to rub some serum through my hair to get rid of frizz but with Aussie my hair dries naturally into gorgeous bouncy curls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

I use the tigi products the honey and oatmeal is fab, I always pick up a huge bottle in the states when im there for pittance, its a bit expensive here.
    But I always alternate between 2 bottles of shampoo-was always told your hair gets used to one bottle and its good to change it. Dont know wether its true or not but seams to work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭rockchik

I use Aussie Colour Mate shampoo and conditioner and then Aussie 3 minute miracle treatment about once a week. It smells gorgeous and its not expensive!!on the cheaper side Tesco have a brand that is like a copy of pantene and it is 99cent a bottle and a hairdresser friend recommended it to me and it is actually really nice! I use it every now and then just to change my shampoo, was told you should do this!My hair gets quite dry from dying it and my hair is always really soft after using the tesco shampoo http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/hair-care/tesco-all-about-shine-pro-vit-shampoo/

I used to use Matrix Biolage products for a while and Kerestase but I dont think they made any amazing difference to my hair!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭This

dove shampoo is amazing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭nicola09

I used to work in a salon, we always recommend the red "L'oreal Elvive" shampoo and conditioner for coloured hair, Kerastace is manufactured by L'oreal and apparantly this particular range is quite similar! I don't use Kerastace myself but have used the L'oreal many times and found it very good! Failing that, try the Biolage range by Matrix, its available in many salons, costs about €10 for the colour shampoo and is a good mid-market product!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I change my shampoo all the time and I can honestly say that I never notice a difference in my hair at all. I have used expensive shampoos that I bought in salons and cheap shampoo from Tesco. In general, my favourite shampoo is L'oréal Elive but really that's just because it's always on special offer in Boots haha :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

L'Oreal Elvive is good and cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭kizzyf

I like Elvive too especially the Royal Jelly one. The worst shampoos and conditioners I've ever used are by Aveda. Really regret wasting money on them. I am a fan of Redken though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭tangerinepuppet

I alternate between the pink L'Oréal Elvive (for mid to long length dull hair), Tigi Honey and Oatmeal, Tigi Moisture Maniac, and Toni & Guy Daily Shine Fix (leaves hair squeaky clean and removes any build-up better than anything else I've tried so it's great to use once a month or so). I use the conditioners of them all too (can never skip that step cos I need it so badly!). The L'Oréal one is amazing for detangling (my hair is long and quite fine but there's lots of it), the Tigi ones are rich and creamy and leave hair soft and manageable, and with the Toni & Guy I use their leave-in conditioner afterwards. I find it great for split ends and it smells gorgeous too. I think it would be especially beneficial to curly hair.

Price-wise, I wouldn't pay full whack for the Tigi / Toni & Guy - I get them on special offer whenever I can, and end up with a big stockpile! Another great salon brand is the Alfaparf Semi di Lino. I use their shampoo, conditioner and serum when I want serious shine.

You need to use so little of all these that a bottle goes a very long way, so i don't think there's much difference in price between salon brands and supermarket brands in the long run (maybe I'm just trying to rationalise it to myself though :p).

Overall, I think the best, most economical choice is the L'Oréal Elvive. The different types in different coloured bottles really are well suited to the different hair types and needs (long / coloured etc.).

Pantene seems lovely at the time but I've heard too many bad things about it and haven't used it for ages.

Advertisement