Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1K Bankroll....where to start?

Options
  • 30-06-2009 6:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭

Hi, I managed to luck sack at tourney for 6k last year and spent most of this travelling. I left 1k in my stars account with the intention of starting to focus on grinding when I returned and improving. Anyway I have been very interested in HU cash games recently and am currently reading 2+2 a lot and watching some coaching vids. I would like to start grinding at 50nl HU but I think 20 buy in's is far too little for HU and would need about 35-40.

So, I basically want to start building my roll up to close to 2k first. Has anybody any recommendations as to what I shoul focus on? I hate sng's and have about 60k hands of 50nl 6max which I beat for about 2.5BB/100 (small sample but think I ran below expectation) so I was thinking 25nl 6max and move up to 50nl with +25 buy in's. Is there any good bonuses available that might help with building my roll or rake back?
    I usually play on stars but don't mind moving sites.

Sorry for all the questions and I know these get asked a lot on these forums, but I have been pretty much out of the loop in poker over the last year.
    Thanks,
    Rob

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

move for rb. full tilt or cake or somewhere.
    play 25nl until you have 2k , then 50nl hu.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

just play 50nl hu on stars. v soft. If you find yourself interested by HU then doubling your roll at 25nl 6max will be a horrible grind

drop to 25nl 6max if your roll hits 5-600.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

but yeah you'll want rb for 50nl hu

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Check out this thread for rakeback etc..........
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055037012

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Robbie444

Yeah I agree with Mr.Plough, 25nl is a HUGE grind, especially without RB. I've played some before on stars and while it obv is very soft, I just find it hard to keep focus after about 30mins in to a session. This is why I think the best option would be for me to try and get some sort of sign up bonus that clears reasonably well along with some RB.

FTP is out of the question as I have an account already and those guys freeze way too many accounts to even consider opening a new one. Might check out cake I guess but I assume there are better deals on the euro sites such as iPoker. Ladbrokes used to do a great $500 welcome bonus that cleared quite fast but I think they replaced it with rake race now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

If you dont have rb, HU will kill you unless you have a massive edge.

Hu regs are usually terrible too, especially on ipoker. Id try learn omaha too, from the small bit ive played in micros it is very soft.

www.rakebackftw.com ( I have no affiliation btw) for rakeback is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭coillcam

PM Tara l'darion.

Ask him about lumping on BOI shares imo.

I am deadly serious btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

I've only ever played HU as a distraction or something to do if I'd like twenty minutes to kill or something so I'm not an expert but I'd imagine playing 50nl HU on a 1k roll would be pretty terrible. The variance at HU is unreal, I wouldn't play 6max with 1k and wouldn't even consider it with HU. I'd play 20nl/25nl for sure until you get at least 40 buy ins for 50nl HU, then take a shot and see how it goes. 6 max is different, I think BR requirements depends alot on your own comfort levels and alot of things that are different for each person, so your own requirements will become more obvious when you start getting hands in.

As has been said, rake is a killer at HU, so get a good RB deal. iPoker has plenty of good ones, so shop around, but they wont be discussed openly here, maybe put a thing in your signature that you're looking for iPoker RB and see if people PM you. Any deposit bonuses will be alot easier to clear playing HU too, I'd guess. iPoker has 20nl not 25nl though, which will slightly slow your moving up but I guess would mean you're that little bit more comfortable starting off too

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

The best course of action all depends on whether your 1k roll is finite or not. Do you have the ability to/are you willing to top up the account if you fall below a certain level? If your online bankroll is the "case" money, then more conservative measures will have to be taken and you should never play with less than 20 BI's for your level. By all means start at $50NL, but if you lose a buyin early, drop down to $25NL and just focus on grinding out a decent winrate so that when you move back up to $50NL, you can comfortably beat it, yet at the same time afford to lose a few buyins if you happen to run bad to start.

Some people might even recommend a minimum requirement of more than 30 BI's for a level but it predominately depends on your own style of play. If you have Laggy tendencies then you'll need more than 30BI's just to cope with the sheer variance associated with that type of play. If you play more like a TAG, then 20BI's should be fine, unless of course you're the unluckiest ****er around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Robbie444

Yeah I am going to have to be pretty nitty with this 1k as I don't see myself having the means to reload any time soon (student deadbeat etc). For this reason I want to always have about 25 buy in's for a 6max game instead of 20. I play a typical TAG syle running at about 19/15 over 60k hands which I guess is even tighter than some TAG's. I will be using 50nl 6max to build my roll up to 40 or so BI's needed for HU but as I am being a bit of a BR nit, I don't even want to start 50nl 6max until I have atleast 25 BI's so I can take a proper 5 BI shot.

I find that when I take a shot for only 2 or 3 BI's it affects my play as I am reluctant to stack off knowing that I will have to move down if I lose. 5 BI's gives me more of a cushion to play around with and I like the psychological knowing that I have atleast 1k in my BR.

• Advertisement
Advertisement