Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Limerick

Options
  • 30-06-2009 6:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hello everyone,

I'm not sure if the is the right place where I should place this message, but I am moving to Limerick in the fall and I am trying to figure out some aspects of the place. I am a single woman in her early 40s, and would like to rent a 2 bedroom apartment in a safe and preferably beautiful area that is near a running trail, a shopping area, etc (so that I can walk or ride a bike, rather than always take a car). I have heard negative things about Limerick and wonder if there are nearby places that one should consider moving to, rather than in Limerick proper. Also, how is the shopping/food culture in the area?
    Many thanks for your kind advice in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

Meelie wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

I'm not sure if the is the right place where I should place this message, but I am moving to Limerick in the fall and I am trying to figure out some aspects of the place. I am a single woman in her early 40s, and would like to rent a 2 bedroom apartment in a safe and preferably beautiful area that is near a running trail, a shopping area, etc (so that I can walk or ride a bike, rather than always take a car). I have heard negative things about Limerick and wonder if there are nearby places that one should consider moving to, rather than in Limerick proper. Also, how is the shopping/food culture in the area?
    Many thanks for your kind advice in advance.

When you say you have heard bad things about the area, that is probably in relation to isolated incidents in some parts of Limerick City. In the majority of places you go in Limerick City you will not find any trouble. If you want to move to the city I would suggest you try either Dooradoyle, Raheen or Ballycummin, these are very nice suburbs.

If you want a place in the country with the trails you mentioned check out Adare, it's a lovely picturesque village, with countless walking trails. The village has many shops, but the village also has a reputation for being expensive.

Happy Hunting

• Registered Users Posts: 8 wina1

Hi Meelie,

I live out Castletroy side, there are plenty of nice running spots with cycle lanes and the university is beside us. We are 10mins max from main shopping district although we have our own grocery shopping malls out this side. There are alot of professional people in their 30s-40s living out this side. At night time there are always plenty of people out running or cycling and there are always gym classes in the Uni! There is a great buzz with a few cute restaurants too - I'm sure there are plenty of places to rent out this side - make sure you barter on the rent as the rental market is quiet so you should get a good price!

Enjoy Limerick - its a fun place!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Hangsangwich

hey wina,nice to hear good comments about Limerick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Riordan123

Alot of people think that Limerick is very very bad, Its not! It gets terriable press and I'm not dening there is a problem here, there is in certain areas, where a very small minority are causing havok!
    I would do all shoppping and everything like that in Lmk and it is a nice city, although dont let first impressions of the city count!! Ther is a few boarded up shops at the bottom of the city, as a proposed development will eventually be there!!!! Shopping is good in the city, along with Cresent Shopping Centre!!

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Svalbard

It's a bit unclear as to whether you want to live in the city, the suburbs or the county.

I'm going to suggest Kilfinnane a village in the south-east of the county about 45 minutes drive from Limerick City.

Its very pretty, a nice little community and is nestled at the foot of the Ballyhoura Mountains which have loads of walking and biking trails.

Not sure if its your thing but it seems to tick some of your boxes. Also accommodation would be much more affordable than the city or Adare.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭IRISH DAYWALKER

i live in castleroty/monaleen aswell i moved here last year and i love it, it is a bit far away from the city centre if your walking though... but both my parents love it here aswell and if your into walking/jogging and nature the university of limerick is just down the road...and you will always meet people out waking the dogs or whatever,,, this is a really nice place

Advertisement