Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor activities in Roscommon- around Frenchpark area

Options
  • 30-06-2009 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Hi,

we've just bought a cottage in frenchpark and are wondering if there are any nice walks in the area. I know there are some small lakes nearby. I dont mind driving to places.

Id be very grateful if anyone who likes outdoor activities can recommend good walking/hikes (although i understand its not a hilly county) etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You been to Forest Park in Boyle? Great place to bring Your partner/kids/dog :D

As for Frenchpark itself, the Cloonshanville rd gets alot of walkers, its the first country road on the right out the Boyle rd. There's a nice ruin in the graveyard overgrown with ivy. The road is perfectly straight for about 1.5-2 miles, very safe for walking.
    There's also the Demesne, take the left just before Ashley Lawns on the Boyle road also.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭In my opinion

If you want to climb try Sliabh Bán outside Strokestown. Lovely views on top.

Agree with Forest Park it is class.

Lots of fishing all around.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭shindig-jp

My Green parrot flew out the window last night and is more than likely heading to French park for some unknown reason . He was captured there again last summer for the second time on the trot . I guess it is some thing to do with migrating as it was hatched in French Park . Anyway a good outdoor activity keeping a look out for him , answers to the name of Peeee..ko and will land on your arm with any fruit offered.... Just mind the claw pinch if you are wearing light clothing

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭LauraLoo

ill keep my eye out shindig-jp :D

thanks for the advice- we'll give the walks a try

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Lough O'flynn in Ballinlough if you are into your trout or pike fishing. A nice lake and boats can be hired if you wish. For fishing from the shore waders are a must as it is very shallow until you get around 20ft out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement