Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

At least 15 killed as LPG train explodes in Northern Italy

Options
  • 30-06-2009 11:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

At least 15 people have been killed and some 50 injured after a freight train carrying gas derailed and exploded in northern Italy, officials say.

It gives you some idea of the dangers of transporting inflammable materials. How much of this stuff is trafficked through the Dublin Port Tunnel by road every day?

It wasn't too long ago since a deadly Nitrate train passed through the Dublin suburbs.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8125644.stm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

So how else are you supposed to transfer it then?

If it had been a passenger train that crashed a lot more than 15 people would probably been killed...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Yeah, I dare say if transport of all this LPG in continental Europe (particularly Italy) was transfered from rail to road then a lot more than 15 people a year would be killed as a direct result. Rail is safe most of the time. Kneejerk reactions serve nobody.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

still, I'm glad the ammonia trains are a thing of the past...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

dowlingm wrote: »
    still, I'm glad the ammonia trains are a thing of the past...

Me too, that train used to travel within 200 yards of where I lived, I could hear the sound of the A series loco hauling it approached every night. The end black tanker carriage used to give me the creeps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

why were houses so close?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

why were houses so close?

Because houses are built close to rail lines. Take Bayview in Killiney for example, loads of house back onto the rail line, not more than 10m from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Because houses are built close to rail lines. Take Bayview in Killiney for example, loads of house back onto the rail line, not more than 10m from it.

I'm next to the Dublin-Belfast line, maybe 15m from the front door to the line.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

One of the reasons my parents sold their house in Drumcondra was being 8 metres from the enbankment of the Maynooth line and worries about there being a security alert along it mid 80s...

I'd doubt we build houses any closer than other countries do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

MYOB wrote: »
    I'd doubt we build houses any closer than other countries do!
    Definitally not pre Dart era with the noise of the things.

Advertisement