Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it expected that the points for the science degree(TR071) will go up this year?

Options
  • 30-06-2009 1:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I've heard that science courses could go up this year. Does anyone know if this course is expected to go up? If so, what is the maximum plausible amount that it could go up by? I realise that its unpredictable, but if someone could give me an estimate, that would be very helpful thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

The thing about science courses is that there's a huge number of places in all the universities around the country, which will go some way towards buffering the points increase should the expected increase in applications be realised.

As for how much, nobody can really answer. But I'd be surprised if it went above 470.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

If they go above 470 I might just go mental, relying on getting in on 475. Could they really go up by that much?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

amacachi wrote: »
    If they go above 470 I might just go mental, relying on getting in on 475. Could they really go up by that much?
    Pet wrote: »
    As for how much, nobody can really answer.

Reading is fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Pet wrote: »
    Reading is fun.

AHAHAHA.

I meant realistically. Of course it "could" go up to anything, but the fact it's been the same for the last 3 years I thought would've meant it would be less likely to rocket up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 kvasir

I've heard though, that because of the recession an extra 6,000 people are applying for third level courses compared to last year. With only about 700 courses overall, at least a few of them will should be applying for this course. All it takes is a few high point applicants to mess it up, thats really what has me worried. Realistically I'm only going to get around 450-460.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Liquorice

I wouldn't worry too much about the extra applicants upsetting the points balance, 'cause realistically, a significant chunk of high-pointers would be going to college anyway, recession or no recession. Sounds to me like someone's just a little jittery about results. You can't change anything until the rechecks, and right now you have no idea if anything needs to be changed at all, so sit back and enjoy the next month and a half. Freak out about points and courses in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭KiLLeR CoUCh

It's a large course anyway... Can't remember the exact number of places but I know they increased them last year to the extent that they couldn't fit them all into the MacNeil for their introduction talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

It's a large course anyway... Can't remember the exact number of places but I know they increased them last year to the extent that they couldn't fit them all into the MacNeil for their introduction talk.

Yup..the first bio lecture of first year seemed to pack Gold Hall out..but thats prob cause everyone was in awe of college and how big the 'class room' was!

But yeah the course is really really big..

Worrying now wont get ya anywhere and I would be really surprised if they went to 470 but nobody knows so there is really no point asking and stressing dude..good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭karlr42

The first day of the year is always fun because you get to see everyone in your class for the only time- after that masses of people stop bothering to come in(when they realise it's not like school and they have to motivate themselves to do so) or drop out :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭gamma23

they did indeed increase it but admitted they took too many this year, points could go up slightly because they are only taking normal numbers this year but then again they could go down too

dont stress even if they do go up you could get the points anyway! (positivity is the best way to end apparently)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭GlasnevinRed

IIRC the poitns went down last year to 415 from 420 the year before, I'd be very surprised if it deviated more than 10-15 points in either direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

The new college-goers are going to be primarily mature students, right? How are mature places allocated? If more mature students are accepted, then maybe there'll be a slight reduction in places for CAO applicants and points could go up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

IIRC the poitns went down last year to 415 from 420 the year before, I'd be very surprised if it deviated more than 10-15 points in either direction.
    I like yer thinkin.

Advertisement