Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATB or Real Time?

Options
  • 30-06-2009 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Active Time Battle or real time fighting? Personally I like having a LITTLE bit of time to plan my next move. I also think that moving from the world map into a different battle screen ads to the whole experience of the fight. Random battles can be quite annoying but you can always find a piece of equipment to get around them! :3
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,897 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Don't like real time battle mechanics but only because they are used mostly in western RPGs. I also found the real time system in FFXII made the game feel like a western RPG, made fighting really boring and overall I think it's one of the worst battle systems I've experienced in an RPG. Saying that I think ATB is a pretty poor battle system. It was only good in FFIV, FFIX and FFV because of the job system and would have been better without ATB. FFX which used a turn based system and has far and away the best battle system or the series just proves how much better a turn based system is and I wish they stuck with it. Any RPG I've played were I thought the battle system was amazing has been turn based from Grandia, Persona, Panzer Dragoon Saga to Dragon Quest VIII etc. It allows it to be much more tactical than the ATB system.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,410 ✭✭✭RedXIV

+1 for Grandia's battle system. Never got to play the original but LOVED number 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I'm in the exact same ship as retro, i hated FFXII mainly because the battle system was terribad (And the story was poo, lets face it). If they're gonna go down that road they may aswell go hog wild and make it like Devil may cry or whatever fast paced action battle mechanics thats out there..

Bring back ATB tbh, its more tactical and fun.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,897 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

We already had the god awful Dirge of Cerberus. I don't want to see Square try their hand at a DMC type game again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Yunalesca

I haven't played that yet... ahah coz I thought it would be rubbish. But I'd give it a go sometime for the lulz. Apparently there's some kind of Yuffie - Vincent thing going on in it? And DMC isn't all that bad :p Sort of :D

• Advertisement

yup totally agree.

I was happy enough with everything else in FF12 except for the battle system and the character development, but of course those two things are key elements of interest to me and I never got around to finishing it.

I'm playing Persona 3 at the moment and I absolutely love it. Very smooth gameplay if a bit repetative with the whole get up - go to school -fight monsters syndrome.

So you liked the turn based system in FFX and you like the job system... but I'm still gonna bet you either haven't played FFX2 or you did and didn't like it? Am I wrong?

Personally I thought it was all a little tongue in cheek and totally ridciulously over the top (not to mention it made a mockery of FFX) but I did love the chance to use the job system again.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Does anyone think that the battle systems in Kingdom Hearts 1 and FFXII are very similar?

Nope. One plays like Devil May Cry while one plays like a western MMO.

Advertisement