Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win XP: Boot-up problem on Advent notebook

Options
  • 29-06-2009 11:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭

I have a Advent 4211C notebook running Windows XP a few weeks. This evening it has started acting up. It worked perfectly earlier today but this evening the following happens:

Unit boots up as normal but is a little slow leaving the 'Welcome' page and then all I get is the desktop wallpaper - no icons appear, nothing. The hour glass isn't displaying so it dosen't seem to running a process that is stalling. Once the wallpaper is there the only function I can get is the TAsk Manager by pressing CTRL ALT DEL.

The only thing that changed today is that I downloaded an AVG update and switched on the wireless for the first time.

Anybody got any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

do you actually log in?
    Have you tried booting to safe mode?
    Have you recently installed hardware software?
    Have you AV software installed and up to date?

How to get to safe mode http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm#03

Could be a virus kicking off after start up and using all the resources, or a messed up profile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I have since discovered that explorer.exe is not starting at start up. I can start it up when I go to the task manager and everything works perfectly.

I did a AVG scan in safe mode and it found a few trojans so I've come to the conclusion that free AV is pretty crap.

At the moment, it looks like I'll be doing a clean install of windows xp and hope for the best.

Advertisement