Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bluetooth and iPhone 3.0. Not working here...

Options
  • 29-06-2009 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭

When I switch on BT on my iphone 3G (3.0), it begins searching for Devices and states its "now discoverable". I have 4 phones (all Nokias) and two laptops sitting around and despite the iphone "searching" for up to 15 minutes, it can't see anything.. anyone else experiencing this? All other devices are discoverable etc etc.
    My N95 can see the iphone but all attempts at pairing fail.
    Whats up with that..?
    Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

quintron wrote: »
    Whats up with that..?
    Any advice appreciated.

There are only certain profiles it can see - headsets/microphones and stereo headsets.

None the devices you list would act as the devices I listed.

So what I am saying is, your iPhone cannot pair with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

Cheers Tom but I was under the impression that the they had opened up the BT profiles with 3.0 software?
    In fact, I thought that was the whole point of them raving about more BT profiles?
    I thought, with this new firmware, we were getting PAN and other more mundane BT features (not all, I know. but std ones I thought for sure) which allowed for more interaction with other regular phones.
    A frikkin' headset profile or A2DP doesn't really cut it, "n'est-ce pas"?
    So am I correct in assuming I cannot transfer phone contact details between an iphone and a Nokia... or a SE or whatever..
    Baffling frankly. The hyperbole and RDF not lost in Steve Job's absence it seems...
    A BT chip is a BT chip, limiting its radio functions through the firmware is just silly. Not a very communicative device.
    Speaking of, I don't suppose a BT keyboard would work either (non jailbroken of course/), despite the obvious profit in official and 3rd party add ons. We will probably have to wait until 2010 for that revolution in Appledom.

Apologies, its late, I'm tired. Rant over. Someone tell me I have it all wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭dubb

Hi quintron,

No good news for you I'm afraid.
    quintron wrote: »
    I was under the impression that the they had opened up the BT profiles with 3.0 software?

Yes, some more new profiles. 3.0 supports Headset, Handsfree, PhoneBook, Stereo Headphones (A2DP), limited headphone control (AVRCP), and PAN.
    See the table here - iPhone and iPod touch: Supported Bluetooth profiles
    I thought, with this new firmware, we were getting PAN and other more mundane BT features (not all, I know. but std ones I thought for sure) which allowed for more interaction with other regular phones.
    More interaction with other Apple phones and iPods.
    So am I correct in assuming I cannot transfer phone contact details between an iphone and a Nokia... or a SE or whatever..
    To other Apple phones, unless you jailbreak. :-(
    A BT chip is a BT chip, limiting its radio functions through the firmware is just silly. Not a very communicative device.
    They limit sending audio and video because they want to protect iTunes revenue. I suspect they limit sending photos by BT to keep AT&T / O2 happy - you have to send by MMS.
    We will probably have to wait until 2010 for that revolution in Appledom.
    Any limitations related to revenue will never go away, especially music.
    They even have an FM radio receiver chip in there, but are in no hurry to enable it. (Maybe Jailbreakes will - they certainly have or will for exchanging address book info and pictures.)

Actually, one bit of good news - limited BT keyboard support is reported to be possible. We'll have to wait and see.
    http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2009/03/17/bluetooth-iphone-30/

Advertisement