Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed dating....

Options
  • 29-06-2009 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭

Ok so a couple of us are thinking of going for the laugh!!
    What are peoples thoughts? Iv never been and dont know anyone who has been! Please enlighten me so I can make my mind up :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭sneakerfreak

i tried dating on speed but my cock shrivelled up to the size of a button

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

i tried dating on speed but my cock shrivelled up to the size of a button

cue facepalm photo!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

mink_man wrote: »
    cue facepalm photo!

At your service:

Get'em Picard!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

If your going with a few other people just for the craic, then i'd say it would be fun. If you hope to find someone at them, then i wouldn't bother, they'd be either full of people there to take the piss, or a pile of disparate people willing to settle for anybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭smileysurfer

definitely not looking to find someone at it.. just thinking of going for the craic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭SoWatchaWant

Speed Dating? I'd be better off speed... skating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

Its a load of bollox.

GaNjaHaN wrote: »
    Its a load of bollox.

Why so???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Why so???

Your very interested for someone going for a laugh, or are you really 38 and on your last ovary?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

Why so???

That's just my opinion.
    I think it's the equivalent to walking up to random women in the smoking area of a pub and trying to chat them up. So just do that instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Went for the laugh. IMO, if you have the balls to go up to random people, you don't need to go speed dating. The one I went to had a high percentage of nurses. No luck, but meh, I had gone for the "hadn't done this before" fun of it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Speed Dating? I'd be better off speed... skating.

Excellent! Just seen that episode last night:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I wouldn't bother if you're going in a serious manner since everyone else who goes is going purely for the laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭bonerjams03

Excellent! Just seen that episode last night:D

Peep Show ftw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Please enlighten me so I can make my mind up :)

Make sure you're drunk for it, everyone else will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

What if nobody at speed-dating was interested in you? Wouldn't that be really depressing. I mean in general, not directed at OP.

I wouldn't like speed dating, I'd find it exhausting, having to chat, make small talk, constantly for a few hours. Too much like work for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

sunnyside wrote: »
    What if nobody at speed-dating was interested in you? Wouldn't that be really depressing. I mean in general, not directed at OP.

I wouldn't like speed dating, I'd find it exhausting, having to chat, make small talk, constantly for a few hours. Too much like work for me.

At least you get it all over and done with in one evening. If you think about it, spending 2 hours of small talk with 20 womens in one evening is better than 20 evenings of small talking individual women for 2 hours each.

Senna wrote: »
    Your very interested for someone going for a laugh, or are you really 38 and on your last ovary?

haha far from it! mid twenties and just out of a 2 year relationship so just want a night of distraction and laughing! Have no intention of taking the evening anyway seriously.
    A group of us were chatting and it came up, half of us have partners and are just wanting to go for the laugh! ( partners are aware)

the_syco wrote: »
    Went for the laugh. IMO, if you have the balls to go up to random people, you don't need to go speed dating. The one I went to had a high percentage of nurses. No luck, but meh, I had gone for the "hadn't done this before" fun of it.

Thats exactly what we are thinking of going for. something new for a night out! a bit of craic!! :P

dsmythy wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother if you're going in a serious manner since everyone else who goes is going purely for the laugh.

As I said already, its not to find someone its just for the laugh

GaNjaHaN wrote: »
    That's just my opinion.
    I think it's the equivalent to walking up to random women in the smoking area of a pub and trying to chat them up. So just do that instead.

Im a woman so il leave the other women in the smoking room alone ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

As I said already, its not to find someone its just for the laugh

Not really fair on the other people going who, while may not be taking it completely serious, are putting a bit of heart in to it. As long as you don't lead anyone on I guess. But going in to it knowing that you are just there to take the piss out of the whole thing is a bit mean on the others imo.

from what iv gotten from this thread already I get the feeling people just go for the laugh.

I have no intention of leading anyone on at all!

If anyone does have an interest in me then I can politely refuse anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Just ask the women are they into pints or cinema or wha?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

If you have no interest and are just going for the laugh then it seems a bit pointless.

Hrududu wrote: »
    If you have no interest and are just going for the laugh then it seems a bit pointless.

Maybe I should clarify.
    im not going with the intention of finding anyone.
    Im thinking of going as it is a brand new experience and Im interested to see how it goes. Im not taking it too seriously.
    So here in basically looking for peoples past experiences and thoughts on the whole speed dating thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

I suppose that's a fair point!

A lot of people go to have a bit light-hearted fun and just to see what it's like!

I was going to go with some friends before, but the price and the thought of leading desperate people on put me off! - didn't want to upset anyone!

I wanted to go just out of curiousity ... see if the people there are as bad as people make them out to be, and what the whole process is like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I wouldn't mind doin it, but is it full of women in relationships just goin for a laugh? :confused: I woulda thought that'd defeat the purpose. Damn c*ck teasers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

I suppose that's a fair point!

A lot of people go to have a bit light-hearted fun and just to see what it's like!

I was going to go with some friends before, but the price and the thought of leading desperate people on put me off! - didn't want to upset anyone!

I wanted to go just out of curiousity ... see if the people there are as bad as people make them out to be, and what the whole process is like.

It's just a bit of fun, worst case scenario you meet some creepy/awful people but you'll probably get an interesting story out of it, best case scenario you meet someone nice and it turns out they have loose morals and open minded friends....

not that i've been mind, i'm just piecing this together from other peoples stories.
    But I think it'd be best to go with a few people you know, if for no other reason you can swap tales afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Nallandnanyways

"Going for a laugh" is the cloak of disaffectation and glib indifference used to shield themselves from the social catastrophe that would be people thinking youre desperate to meet someone.

"Going for a laugh" = "Yeah, I mean, sure, I'd like to meet someone, so yeah, Ill give it a go, but hey, Im not as sad and desperate as these other saddos, Oh no! Im chic and debonnair and only doing this cos its a bit of a laugh and Desperate Housewives has finished *oh I hope I meet someone nice, I hope I meet someone nice*"

Attached women going is gtfo tbh.

"Going for a laugh" is the cloak of disaffectation and glib indifference used to shield themselves from the social catastrophe that would be people thinking youre desperate to meet someone.

"Going for a laugh" = "Yeah, I mean, sure, I'd like to meet someone, so yeah, Ill give it a go, but hey, Im not as sad and desperate as these other saddos, Oh no! Im chic and debonnair and only doing this cos its a bit of a laugh and Desperate Housewives has finished *oh I hope I meet someone nice, I hope I meet someone nice*"

No we are really just thinking of going for something different and to have fun!
    Maybe you should try it!
    no need to read too much into it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

project much, sparky?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

project much, sparky?

Yeah?
    What I do?

Advertisement