Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to dublin somewhere near finglas..

Options
  • 29-06-2009 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hey there, I'm moving to up to Dublin shortly and am attending a course in finglas.

I'm living in kerry at the moment but lived in Dun Laogahire for four years and never had any problems in Dublin. However I know finglas is very far out from the city, closer to the airport than anything else. From looking at prior threads I can see some people stated it hasn't got a great rep. Also some complaints about few buses. I'm really only familiar with the city and Dun Laoghaire.

I don't mind a long commute, so any advice on safe and resonable areas to live between the city and finglas? It would be much appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

It's not that far from town but Finglas imo is a kip, my experience living there was not favourable at all but in saying that there's a lot of good to be said about a lot of the people I know from there as well. Whatever you do, do not move to Finglas West, Barry/Casement areas....

Ashtown and Royal Canal Park areas are fine. 20 mins walk to school, hot eastern europeans at the bus stop every morning, easy accessible with train and all... what more do you need?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Yunalesca

oh yeah!! I'm just using google earth here to see where ashtown is... it's close to phoenix park. Well, close-ish!! It all looks so teeny on google earth :D Thanks loads! I'll take all that into consideration. Also, I like like hot eastern europeans so this is a good thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You might read: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57342826&postcount=2

Finglas is a big area, so you'll need to narrow things down a bit for us. There are plenty of bus options.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

With the 17A bus route going from Finglas to Howth Junction that opens up a huge area of the northside you could live in and only be 20/30 min from Finglas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Dub13 wrote: »
    With the 17A bus route going from Finglas to Howth Junction that opens up a huge area of the northside you could live in and only be 20/30 min from Finglas.

I can safely say that over the years this has been by far the worst bus service ever. Many many many times there was no last bus, Timetable non existant etc...

• Advertisement

Basically I'm going doing a fas course there on Jamestown Road. I would like to live closer to the city if possible. I can't give you anymore info than that as I am no way fimiliar with finglas and it's surrounding areas.

also, I just read the link.

Sorry about that! I came across an earlier question similar to my own and thought it was permittable. Again, apoligies.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Look at this http://www.mkmap.com/dublin

The frequent routes that actually use Jamestown Road are the 40b or 140 although the 17a, 40 83, 104 and 220 are also options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

The 17A is a nightmare. wouldn't rely on it tbh. You'll probably hear a lot of sensationalist crap from people who never set foot in Finglas, never mind lived there but once you stay away from the bad parts its largely ok. The south and west I'd avoid if you're new to the area but the east side of the dual carriageway is generally grand. Plenty of new apartments and new build houses with rooms for rent. Town is only 30 mins by bus.

Finglas is actually a great location, lots of facilities, loads of shopping options / gyms and transport etc. Keep out of the dodgy estates (like mine :p ) and you'll be grand. No need to go mad and rent somewhere as far away as you can. If you're determined not to rent in Finglas try looking in Glasnevin / phibsborough area, only 15 minutes away by bus or cycle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I recently moved into Finglas, and apart from the bodies in car boots, stabbings and shootings it's grand :p

Ah no, I've never actually seen any trouble, and as in all places, the criminal element generally stick to themselves. Don't bother them, they won't bother you.

It's true, the place has some great amenities, and in fairness, the 140 is supposed to be a brilliant bus service. In fact, the 40a/d has improved a lot in recent times.

• Advertisement

Thanks very much for your reply and the heads up on the 17a btw. I don't suppose the dart runs anywhere near finglas? :p Ahah I think I should just get up there and have a good look myself!! Thanks loads for the friendly info :3

Don't worry I won't be bothering anyone, I'm only 5ft4" and I'm terrified of dubliners!! : D Thanks for the infor on the bus services! :3

thanks very much and thanks for the link :3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

If you're attending the FAS on the Jamestown Road then maybe look at renting in Lanesborough or Meakstown. They're new parts of Finglas and are nice areas, quiet :). Look on Daft.ie they have loads of places on there in that area. Hampton Wood, Lanesborough, Charlestown, Meakstown.

thank you very much!! Very much appreciated, I'll look into it on daft :3

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭D Audio Tripper

Hampton Wood, Lanesborough, Charlestown, Meakstown.

Definitely where you wanna be looking for - all new estates and they're grand, walking distance to Fas as well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Cityside is a five minutes walk and there's the 140 outside it to town every 10 minutes, takes 25 minutes to O'connell st off peak about 35 peak. Nitelink also stops outside Fas. During the day Fas is a five minute walk to 19/19a so Glasnevin and Phibsboro would be grand to live in too. As for around Fas, the shopping centre in Charlestown is grand and plans in train to expand it. I've been living here four years and apart from very rare loud party at the weekend no trouble whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

+1 to the above.

There are plenty of apts to rent within spitting distance of the village and hence Jamestown Rd so stick with the buses(140 is the best) and you'll be grand as you'll be near civilisation.

PS:Dun Laoghaire is futher from town than Finglas is *i think*!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Just keep your Aeons handy and you'll be fine.

:p I'll take Valefor with me to Finglas, just in case :D

• Advertisement

thanks for the heads up on the 140! :)

I think yes going by google earth finglas is actually closer to the city as it's only 30 mins or so by bus. However if you take the dart from Dunlaoghaire to the city it's only 15 or 20 mins so that's not so bad either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Hampton Wood, Lanesborough, Charlestown, Meakstown.

I'd agree with the above, they're all new estates and all rather quiet. The 140 is a handy bus for getting in and out of town and there's plenty to do around the place.

You'll always hear horror stories about Finglas but nearly all come from people that haven't lived there. I grew up and have lived in Finglas all my life and I've never had any major snags in the place, it's full of good decent people. Just like anywhere there's some scumbags but there's a 99% guarantee that you'll never have any kind of dealings with them.

thanks very much! :3

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Finglas is a working class area and is actually much closer to the city centre than Dun Laoghaire - Finglas village is only 4 miles/6 kilometres from O'Connell Bridge.

The East and Northern parts of Finglas are fine. Avoid Finglas South/Tolka Valley and the West. Ashtown is near to Finglas but is a million miles away in terms of the area - it's a very nice area to live in and there's a train service to the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Finglas is a working class area and is actually much closer to the city centre than Dun Laoghaire - Finglas village is only 4 miles/6 kilometres from O'Connell Bridge.

The East and Northern parts of Finglas are fine. Avoid Finglas South/Tolka Valley and the West. Ashtown is near to Finglas but is a million miles away in terms of the area - it's a very nice area to live in and there's a train service to the city.

Thats just about the most accurate post in the thread.

OP, I'm closing this now as the above post answer's most questions raised, if not them all, about Finglas.

If you'd like it reopened just shoot me a PM and its done.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement