Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reading Glasses

Options
  • 29-06-2009 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Up until recently i had "perfect" vision but recently i have got to that age where reading has become difficult. My daughter gave me a pair of those of the shelf reading glasses. i was just wondering what the difference is between those and the prescription ones that you get in an optician. Does anyone know? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

The difference is:

when u get tested in an opticians-- they can give u full prescription.
    In other words, they take into account if you have an astigmatism, which means ur eye is slightly more oval than round.. you will need a little extra help with correcting that.

Over the counter ones, dont correct the astigmatism at all. These are fine if you dont have one. But youl only know from the results of an eye test.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Bravadin

thanks for your reply. I guess an eye test is due then thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭gipi

The off the shelf lenses will also have the same strength lens in both eyes, which might not be exactly what you need. Optician-prescribed lenses will have individual lenses if needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Paulie907

Yep if you have an astigmatism you are better going to a Optician...otherwise you can pick up a pair of reading glasses in the shops, chemists or on line, I bought a few on www.directvision2u.com a few months ago for a present they have some nice ones otherwise the chemist normally has cheap ones. do a search on line for an age reading chart and it will show you that you can predict what presciption you might need according to your age

hope this helps

Advertisement