Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Human Resource Management @DCU?

Options
  • 29-06-2009 4:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭

Just finished my degree in Political Science at TCD but as much as Id like to go on studying international relations I just dont see a defined career path or good opportunities from doing so.

Anyway I decided to switch over to a more business related field and as maths and stats isn't my strong point Im thinking Human Resources might be for me.

Is there anyone here that has done/is doing this course ( or any other HRM course in Ireland) Whats DCU's reputation like for this course? Could you give some feedback on what to expect?
    Ive also applied for the onein NUIG but dont know whether to hold off on DCU in case Galway also offers.

Also the prospectus says graduation makes you a member of the CIPD, what exactly does this mean? Is it worth anything?

If anyone has any advice its always appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 peachy211

Just starting the MBS in HRM and wondering how you found the workload etc. Is it intense or doable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Lamrin

Hi,

HRM is a broad business subject, so you should learn most things from Organisation Strategy, Employee Relations (Trade Unions), Recruitment and Selection, Training and Development, Employment Law and general supporting modules. Be prepared for some Maths, as HRM professionals need to be able to grasp Statistics (not typical maths you learn at school, Stats is more practically based). You may also explore finance and budgeting.

The CIPD qualification (chartered institute of personnel and development) is very credible. Check out their website to find out what they do. CIPD is the national recognised body in the UK for HRM professionals. Most employers for HRM jobs beyond Administration level will be asking for CIPD qualified people. Check out Jobs.ie and look at person specs for HRM Generalists.

If you are looking to go into HRM, it is common for people to work as a HRM Administrator for a year or so, before they get to apply for HRM Officer roles. HRM Admin can be very boring, but it is definitely a right of passage that people must go through. It involves a lot of Personnel Filing etc. If you could manage to get a part time HRM Admin role whilst doing your MA, this might kill two birds with one stone, allowing you to move into more technical roles upon graduation.

Speak to some HRM professionals and take advice from them - ask them how they got into the field.

Thanks
    Amy

Advertisement