Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fingal Republican History

Options
  • 29-06-2009 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hello,

Im currently doing some research which involves compilling a list of Republican Graves / Monuments / Plaques / Momorials Etc in The Fingal / North County Dublin area. Can anybody help me out wit locations, Photo's, Maps, Advice?

Kind regards

Philip

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 blingBabe

The only one I am aware of is Miriam Daly. She is buried in the cemetery in Swords. She was INLA I think.

Try to get a copy of the 'Last Post' produced by the National Graves Association or even try their web site?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

There's a 1798 memorial placque near Ballyboughil ( battle between United Irishmen and Militia took place there ). Wouldn't be surprised to find a commemorative stone or the likes on the school in Lusk, Thomas Ashe was a teacher there. There's a memorial placque for ( I think ) Harry Boland in Skerries ( on the lefthand side of the monument as you come from the Texaco direction into the square ) as he was shot there.

There must be a lot more if you start rooting around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

you might try the national graves association http://www.nga.ie/ . there if a fine celtic cross in finglas village to Dick McKee , its just at the taxi rank . Mckee was from finglas bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

If you can have a look for a book called ‘The Last Post’ printed by the National Graves Association . It mentions a couple of monuments on the North side . There is a marker on the Collins avenue end of Grace Park Road marking the spot where the body of Martin Hogan was found on 22nd April 1923. I don’t know where this is but the Old Abbey of Mone (Killbarrack or Howth) has the remains of United Irishman John Sweetman , Dan head KIA Custom House attack 1921 and Thomas Wall KIA four courts 1922. Lusk Cemetery has the remains of Thomas Rafferty KIA Ashbourne 1916 . On the other side the old St Canices grave yard in Finglas village has the grave of one of the RIC killed in Ashbourne during the rising. The church on the tonlegee road ,beside Smurfit, was a meeting for some of Robert Emmetts men before they went into the city for the 1803 rising.

Advertisement