Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

24" iMac WiFi issue

Options
  • 29-06-2009 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭

Maybe someone here can help me as I'm at a loss right now.

I own a 24" iMac running Leopard, the 2.8GHz model (2GB ram etc.)... but in the last few days an odd phenomenon has occurred whereby the WiFi signal is full (as it should be) but the internet is dog slow. I checked to see if it was the network but it's not. Loading up my Macbook Pro and using that shows internet working fine and zippy.

Occasionally the WiFi bar will drop by one or two signal-bars. When I turn off/on airport it'll go back to normal, but can often go back to sluggish results later.

I've tested the network to make sure that's not the issue and it's not. My 360, PS3, Macbook Pro & XP box all work fine without any issues. Just the iMac.

The machine is fully updated and other then this there's no issues. I've also not installed any new software of late. So I'm completely baffled!

For the record I'm using the standard netopia router with eircom 3MB broadband with WEP on.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Maybe someone here can help me as I'm at a loss right now.

I own a 24" iMac running Leopard, the 2.8GHz model (2GB ram etc.)... but in the last few days an odd phenomenon has occurred whereby the WiFi signal is full (as it should be) but the internet is dog slow. I checked to see if it was the network but it's not. Loading up my Macbook Pro and using that shows internet working fine and zippy.

Occasionally the WiFi bar will drop by one or two signal-bars. When I turn off/on airport it'll go back to normal, but can often go back to sluggish results later.

I've tested the network to make sure that's not the issue and it's not. My 360, PS3, Macbook Pro & XP box all work fine without any issues. Just the iMac.

The machine is fully updated and other then this there's no issues. I've also not installed any new software of late. So I'm completely baffled!

For the record I'm using the standard netopia router with eircom 3MB broadband with WEP on.
    From the router to your computer, do you have an wireless devices near (cordless phones, baby monitors, TV video senders, wireless telephone plugs etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Iomega Man

Exactly the same problem here(same router/machine).
    I fully updated the other day and it seems to be happening since that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

cpu-dude wrote: »
    From the router to your computer, do you have an wireless devices near (cordless phones, baby monitors, TV video senders, wireless telephone plugs etc.)

There are wireless devices between the iMac & the router (PS3's, 360's, laptops & a computer) but none of this have ever caused issue before. There are no cordless phones or devices akin to that though. As I said, nothing has really changed in the house, the iMac seems to have developed this all on its own without any external symptoms!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

There are a few reports of wifi/network problems with recent iMacs and 10.5.7.

Make sure all firewalls are turned off (OSXs, Little Snitch, Peer Guardian, etc). Also if this is a recent problem try installing the 10.5.7 combo update — and make sure you repair permissions first.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,010 ✭✭✭Talisman

I think it's a 10.5.7 issue. I have access to 3 iMacs in one office and one of them is experiencing the same issue. It's the only one that is updated with the latest update coincidentally.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

10.5.8 should be along shortly. Hopefully that will fix it.

Advertisement