Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reality TV

Options
  • 29-06-2009 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭

Anyone hate the influx of reality TV these days, everything is flipping reality TV its so annoying, anyone agree?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Yea I agree. For the most part I can't stand it - Channel 4 (which I hardly watch anyway) might as well be "Reality TV UK" as it's wall-to-wall nowadays

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Eh...Has this not been the case for about 8 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

zuutroy wrote: »
    Eh...Has this not been the case for about 8 years?

10 years now with BB10 :eek: Should this discussion not be in the Reality TV forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Reality TV isn't going anywhere. It's cheap to produce, and with telephone/text voting they can recoup production costs, and even turn a profit before the sponsorship and advertisements that they normally make money off. It may be horrible tripe, but it's something we have to accept.

My biggest issue with Reality TV is the name itself. There's nothing real about a bunch of complete **** stuck in some badly designed house and forced to do meaningless tasks in order to get booze, while all the time being monitored by some sadistic benevolent overseer who wants nothing more than to see them have sex, but will never be able to broadcast it. As for a bunch of B-list faux-celebs with an over-inflated sense of self worth, living in a jungle for 3 weeks while being forced to eat bulls testicles and sheep's eyeballs, reality? I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

jor el wrote: »
    My biggest issue with Reality TV is the name itself. There's nothing real about a bunch of complete **** stuck in some badly designed house and forced to do meaningless tasks in order to get booze, while all the time being monitored by some sadistic benevolent overseer who wants nothing more than to see them have sex, but will never be able to broadcast it. As for a bunch of B-list faux-celebs with an over-inflated sense of self worth, living in a jungle for 3 weeks while being forced to eat bulls testicles and sheep's eyeballs, reality? I don't think so.

Yeah the genre should really be renamed Rival-mentry or Rival TV as generally it consists of people competiting againist each other for a prize.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

jor el wrote: »
    Reality TV isn't going anywhere. It's cheap to produce, and with telephone/text voting they can recoup production costs, and even turn a profit before the sponsorship and advertisements that they normally make money off. It may be horrible tripe, but it's something we have to accept.

+1. Spot-on.

There's more "reality" happening after I go to sleep every night.

Unfortunately, the radio shows discuss this crap and make the brain-dead sheep feel like they're missing out, so they watch it, and inflict it on everyone else at the water-cooler/canteen/pub.

BB1 was worthwhile, because there was no antagonistic gimmicks and people were themselves.

Ever since then they've been flogging a dead horse, making it more and more "unreal" in order to have at least some point to having a camera trained on boring idiots while they sleep.

Advertisement