Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions & Answers - Final Call

Options
  • 29-06-2009 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭

After 23 years Q&A comes to a close tonight with a special debate on how Ireland has changed since 1986, the year the programme was first aired.
    I'm going to miss the show, thought it was a great forum for open debate and serious questioning. John Bowman was the perfect host also.
    Tonight 22:30 - 23:45

Questions and Answers: 1986-2009 ul_s_grey.gif
    John Bowman looks back at some of the greatest moments from the discussion programme's archives, while special guests debate the ways in which Ireland has changed since 1986

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I cant for the life of me think why RTE are getting rid of Questions & Answers, the one & only, long running, well put together, thought provoking, questioning, political debate forum on Irish TV > and RTE are pulling the plug :confused:

Cant imagine the Beeb pulling the plug on 'Questiontime'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

Like many things .. it was better in the old days.

.. before politicians were schooled in media speak and before the audience was littered with party stooges with prepared questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Camelot wrote: »
    I cant for the life of me think why RTE are getting rid of Questions & Answers, the one & only, long running, well put together, thought provoking, questioning, political debate forum on Irish TV > and RTE are pulling the plug :confused:

I think they have decided that without John Bowman they should finish and try some other format, hence the new Pat kenny led show

tbh its what should happen with the Late Late too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭the_dark_side

Would it be that the reason for axing RTE's Questions and Answers is that the program would provide a platform for discent in the form of intelligent argument, in the run up to the 2nd Lisbon Treaty?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Moved from AH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

or maybe the lack of viewers..?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

CT forum is that way -->

I think that what with RTE's debts it'll be the first of many shoes to be axed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Given the standard of "debate" on it recently, it'll be no loss.

Audience hijacked by supporters of one side or the other, no-one on it listening to each other, FF ministers shouting everyone down, SF non-TDs sitting in, etc.

Lately, Bowman's been like a disinsterested schoolteacher in a playground full of brats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Questions and Answers hasn't produced anything like intteligent argument for a good while now.

It is getting dropped because it has more than run its course and it really has been a sham for the past few years with the whole audience being made up of supporters of political parties or interest groups.

They are replacing it in the autumn with a Pat Kenny current affairs vehicle so I think that the conspiracy theory is way off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Morgans

Q&A has been like that for years. The schills in the audience really let the whole program down every week.

That said, every now and again, its worth the licence fee on its own - the last occasion being the harrowing account of Michael O'Brien in the industrial school (Goldenbridge?) and making Noel Dempsey look like a bold 3 year old.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Camelot wrote: »

Indeed when Robin Day left Question Time after ten years, the show continued with Peter Sissons and since David Dimbleby. If Dimbelby left they would replace him. The format is bigger than the person, its not the The John Bowman Show after all and when push comes to shove, Questions and Answers is Question Time with an Irish accent - they are exactly the same format.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Typical of RTE to wrap it up with Brian Cowen as the final guest. Who didn't see that coming? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭fionnmar

Was a great show and John Bowman was unique. In the past we had the annals of the four masters, this is the history our future generations will look to - political, social and cultural. Take a bow Bowman. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

My favourite part was where Brian Lenihan Snr got pwnd. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭fionnmar

We saw some politicians and commentators grow up there. P Flynnn made his big f up (re his 3 houses) on the late late but even tonight they talked about his opinion re keeping the woman in the home. That was early 90s. Even tho they were quick to say that he apologised within 2 hours his true colours were plain to see. I have no political allegiances but to me, his comments have defined Ireland and how much we have changed (and have still to change) in recent years

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

The main topic up for discussion, ie the changes over the last 23 years, was an interesting one and addressed well by most panelists. I just felt there was a slightly underwhelming feel to the whole programme. In fairness to Cowen I thought he spoke well and his answers had a nice flow where as Enda Kenny resembled a schoolkid struggling to remember an Irish poem. Bowman was, as always, excellent and his chairing will be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Pat Kenny's got some very big shoes to fill on the oul' Monday night slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Morgans

Aidric wrote: »
    The main topic up for discussion, ie the changes over the last 23 years, was an interesting one and addressed well by most panelists. I just felt there was a slightly underwhelming feel to the whole programme. In fairness to Cowen I thought he spoke well and his answers had a nice flow where as Enda Kenny resembled a schoolkid struggling to remember an Irish poem. Bowman was, as always, excellent and his chairing will be missed.

I thought it was ok. Tepid and very low-key exit for what was on occasions a very good programme.

Advertisement