Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEAR DEATH EXPERIENCES

Options
  • 29-06-2009 3:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I just want to know has anyone out there had a Near Death Experience... You know Bright Lights, Life Flashing Before Your Eyes etc..

I have had this happen to me Twice, the life flashing one.
    Once when I fell out of a tree when I was 7,and once when I was knocked down by a car when I was about 10.

Anyone care to talk about this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭hiorta

Aye, I've had the privilege of such an experience. Though they all are described very similarly, there also seems to be great personal differences, which seems reasonable considering the great range of human interests and spiritual development. The central core of the experiences were remarkable when the differing beliefs, ethnic and cultural 'colouring', age, medication and general expectations in life are added to the mix.

A best selling book of some years ago - "Life after Life" by Dr. Raymond Moody with further views from Dr. Elizabeth Kubler-Ross.

There is also the following website: http://nderf.org/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

So hiorta, what was your experience like?

About mine. On both occasions I experienced the same thing, my life up until that point flashed before my eyes in a split second. I remembered smells, sounds, feelings memories everything, and afterwards I remembered what I'd seen, and realised that these where the things that I had forgotten. But from that moment on I realised that there was more to us than meets the eye and that the mind can work super fast if it needs to and that it is capable of doing great things.
    If we only use 10% of our brain, what is the other 90% capable of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Doesn't the body produce crazy amounts of DMT before you die, resulting in hallucinations?

dlofnep. no these memories were not hallucinations, otherwise I'd be going around hallucinating all day:D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Severe trauma of course will cause similar results. Why do you attribute bright lights after being hit hard to a near death experience?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

A relative of mine had a pretty typical NDE, tunnel with light at the end, beautiful garden, departed relatives etc. Im not being flippant about it, it changed her life, just not going into details. The cases are intruiging because of the similarities between NDE experiences of very different kinds of people. The book mentioned above is a very good read on the subject.

The theories Ive heard of to give a physical explanation to the phenomenon are oxygen starvation and the last gasp electrical bursts in the brain. It was found that trainee astronauts and pilots had NDEs when being trained at high G forces. A really interesting subject but as yet pretty anecdotal, though doctors have been known to do ad hoc tests such as putting a message on top of a cabinet in an operating room to see if any patient who floats to a ceiling in a NDE can tell them what it said if/when they are brought back from death.

In my case I wasn't starved of Oxygen but was shocked by being hit. I think my mind/body taught it was on the edge of death and was prepairing me for it. Maybe if I had have been really hurt I would have withnessed the light at the end of the tunnel aswell, after my life flashed before my eyes.

On both occasions I was not seriously hurt thank God, just badly bruised and shocked.

Very clever idea Oryx about Doctors putting a message on top of a cabinet, but I know if I was having an out of body exp. I would be looking at my body first and secondly at the white light. I don't think I would be all that interested in what was on top of cabinets:D.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

suey71 wrote: »
    In my case I wasn't starved of Oxygen but was shocked by being hit. I think my mind/body taught it was on the edge of death and was prepairing me for it. Maybe if I had have been really hurt I would have withnessed the light at the end of the tunnel aswell, after my life flashed before my eyes.

On both occasions I was not seriously hurt thank God, just badly bruised and shocked.

Very clever idea Oryx about Doctors putting a message on top of a cabinet, but I know if I was having an out of body exp. I would be looking at my body first and secondly at the white light. I don't think I would be all that interested in what was on top of cabinets:D.
    I know, the idea has its problems.:) The reasoning behind it was because patients described witnessing their own resuscitation from the ceiling of the room, including describing doctors words and reactions. Thus I presume doctors thought of this as a test.

Advertisement