Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An alternative way of looking after healthy elderly people

Options
  • 29-06-2009 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

Js I saw a programme on one morning on euronews or some programme like that about this experimental housing scheme where the put so many old people in an apartment complex with younger people think it was in France.

The incentive for the young people was they had to spend three hours a week with an old person and check on them everyday and they would get cheaper rent.

Also workshops were set up with activities were set up that allowed old people to teach there skills such as cooking. growing plants, woodturning etc to young people and young people teaching the older people skills such as computer use.

Apparently it was a great success as young people used to spent extra time with the elders and it was a good way of getting to know your neighbours whic created a great community spirit which is very positive in my opinion.

I think it should be tryed out in Ireland especially because of a lot of empty apartment blocks around and if I was a TD or owned an apartment block its what I would try its what id try and encourage. Also senior citizens have lived through recesion times and have important skills to pass on.

What do people think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Js I saw a programme on one morning on euronews or some programme like that about this experimental housing scheme where the put so many old people in an apartment complex with younger people think it was in France.

The incentive for the young people was they had to spend three hours a week with an old person and check on them everyday and they would get cheaper rent.

Also workshops were set up with activities were set up that allowed old people to teach there skills such as cooking. growing plants, woodturning etc to young people and young people teaching the older people skills such as computer use.

Apparently it was a great success as young people used to spent extra time with the elders and it was a good way of getting to know your neighbours whic created a great community spirit which is very positive in my opinion.

I think it should be tryed out in Ireland especially because of a lot of empty apartment blocks around and if I was a TD or owned an apartment block its what I would try its what id try and encourage. Also senior citizens have lived through recesion times and have important skills to pass on.

What do people think?

It sounds like a good idea, you'd probably have a few problem tenants - young AND old but as long as the councils don't use the idea as a dumping ground it would work. I'd imagine >25 yr old young people and maybe young families.

I wouldn't mind living there would anyone else on boards live there?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭trap4

I think it's a terrific idea and probably something that could be turned into a project suitable for applying to Social Entrepreneurs Ireland. I was a level 1 awardee in 2008 on a project related to the elderly and they've been a tremendous help (even though the project is currently stalled).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Not quite the same thing, but near where I lived in the Netherlands there was a new housing estate built on the spacious grounds of what used to be a large home for older kids (i.e. late teens to early 20's) with learning difficulties. What they did was that every other house was a 'normal' house that was just sold on the open market to the general public, and the others were assisted living houses for the kids. Worked great, and gave them the feeling of belonging to society rather than being on the periphery. There was no obligation for any of the house owners to get involved in the activities of the organisation any way, but from what I heard, many of them did entirely voluntarily.

Advertisement