Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UKCAT - similar to HPAT?

Options
  • 28-06-2009 11:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Heylo :D,

I am currently applying to UK med schools and planning on sitting the UKCAT before the Summer is over. I would be hugely grateful to anyone if they would mind giving me a few personal tips RE the test. Is it similar to the HPAT? Do they use it like they use the HPAT here, ie combine it with the LC to give a gross score? I've seen the various websites but I want to know exactly what I'm getting myself into, if that makes sense..:o

Thanks in advance :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 dontlikeurmam

Would also love ta know if any1 could help...Websites not brill:(

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭smndly

I did the test last october. The test itself is similar to the HPAT in that its MCQs and the style of questions are alike. Its all done on a PC and you get your results immediately. I happened to do quite well in it and i put this down to a book called "Passing the UK Clinical Aptitude test and BMAT". If your serious about doing well get this book!!! Its really helpful and also helps with the interview and UCAS personal statement.

Unis use the UKCAT in different ways. Some have a minimum cut off point which you must exceed to be in with a chance. Others use your result along with your statement, reference, interview and exam results (or predictions) etc. Some colleges dont use the UKCAT and use the BMAT instead (cambridge, oxford and some others)

Hope this helps! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Anthony16

Yes,the format is pretty similar and sec 3 of the hpat(shapes etc) is pretty similar to 1 of t sections in ukcat.i did a grinds course for the ukcat and it wz so helpful.U should book one if u r willin t go t england for a few dayz cos it helps so much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Crystler

Agreed with the above posters, but (Adding in my 2 cents here).

The time length for each section is (or appears to be much less). It's v.time based just giving you enough time to speed read the question and answer and than move on. (Granted it just be because of my mediocre reading speed.)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭swatch

Has anyone done the ukcat this summer yet? I've my test booked for the last week in august...any tips or links would be much appreciated! I have the book for passing the ukcat and bmat which is great but I'd really love some links for practice tests online!

Thanks in advance!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement