Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Website

Options
  • 28-06-2009 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm urrently planning on setting up a new site for my local soccer team. I'm not gonna ask whats the best host (because i know thats not allowed) but what i'd like to know is do I have to pick a host thats based in Ireland or could i use one in the US for example.

Can you use Joomla with any host?

Also wondering is my best bet to use a Linux host for this type of site?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

If it's Joomla, then you'll need a linux host.

Most if not all hosting plans allow FTP access to upload and install a CMS, some have pre-configured installed which can be installed via their Control Panel.

Downsides to hosting abroad are some latency/speed issues, as well as support can be down/slow during our day.

You don't have to choose an Irish host, but if you shop around, the prices aren't too different.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭barrymac20

zAbbo wrote: »
    If it's Joomla, then you'll need a linux host.

Most if not all hosting plans allow FTP access to upload and install a CMS, some have pre-configured installed which can be installed via their Control Panel.

Downsides to hosting abroad are some latency/speed issues, as well as support can be down/slow during our day.

You don't have to choose an Irish host, but if you shop around, the prices aren't too different.

Thats great Zabbo, i think i'll stick with a local host, keep it Irish and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Check out some prebuilt solutions like teamsnap.com - they're purpose built for managing team sites and might be better that getting something done yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Anyone have any thoughts on developing and skinning a ning.com profile for this project?

Especially with the social networking aspect - if all the players/fans could create profiles and share thoughts and photos it could certainly end up creating a vibrant community.

Advertisement