Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food prices in Storm Cinema

Options
  • 28-06-2009 5:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭

I went to see Terminator Salvation tonight in Storm. Paid ?7.50 for a student ticket, which was fine. When i asked for a small popcorn, medium fanta and Maltesers pouch, the total came to ?19.20. I wanted to question the guy who served me after the film but no one was around as it was the late showing. Was i over-charged or is ?12.70 the correct pricing for those three food items? Seems incredible that a medium fanta and a small popcorn would both cost over ?4 individually! Especially in a recession.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Food is where cinemas make most of their profit. It is expensive though....

BYOF :)

You could get the popcorn there, but bring a bottle of fanta and a bag of malteesers from the outside. I've never been stopped from bringing my own food to Storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

that could be right i went to storm thurs night and paid €3.80 for just a medium coke.. one of the lads was hungry before the movie (transformers 2) so we had a mcdonalds outside.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Storm charge enormous prices for all their confectionary. There are posters up behind the main counter with prices for their "meal deals". They always leave me feeling a little bit ripped off. It's a pretty good cinema though.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

An File wrote: »
    Storm charge enormous prices for all their confectionary. There are posters up behind the main counter with prices for their "meal deals". They always leave me feeling a little bit ripped off. It's a pretty good cinema though.

Storm has completely gone downhill since it first opened, they dont have a clue how to project a move properly, its always blurry in screen 1, I saw Transformers 2 in there and a big blotch of the screen was out of focus, and in screen 2 one of the speakers up the far right is broken so any time theres any bassy noise it makes awful sounds, the smaller screens arent as bad screen 4 and 7 are always in focus for some reason, so yeah I dont pay for food in there either eat beforehand or just go without, I dont get why people need to shovel food into their face for the duration of a movie anyway, you wont die of starvation watching a 90 minute film!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

They should also fix the electronic sign they have outside it. You can barely make it out as it is. Is the winebar still going? That was a nice touch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

When I go to the earlier showings I normally stock up in Superquin before I head in, brought a sub in once before as well. Scobey I know but anything to save the few pound...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭Astrogeek

Has it really gone that down hill? I haven't been there in ages. The omniplex is closer to me.
    But yeah food in the cinema is far too expensive. I was in Mullingar recently and went to see hangover (brilliant btw) with my cousin and two brothers and it was nearly 60 euro for the four of us and sweets. Shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

The Omniplex is much closer to me, but i only go to Storm now. Since they started locking the screen doors for the entire duration of the film (why i dont know) and the amount of scummers who interrupt the film makes me choose Storm everytime.

Apparently the Omniplex has gotten itself a digital 3D screen, has Ice Age listed as standard and 3D on the website, anyone know how long thats been in there? havent been to the Omniplex since 2006 but the idea of seeing Avatar later in the year and Toy Story 3 next year in 3D is very appealing

Another bad point for storm, saw a movie earlier this evening at a 6pm showing and was charged full price, €9.80 for an early evening show isnt on, always used to be cheaper before 6

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

krudler wrote: »
    Apparently the Omniplex has gotten itself a digital 3D screen, has Ice Age listed as standard and 3D on the website, anyone know how long thats been in there? havent been to the Omniplex since 2006 but the idea of seeing Avatar later in the year and Toy Story 3 next year in 3D is very appealing

Another bad point for storm, saw a movie earlier this evening at a 6pm showing and was charged full price, €9.80 for an early evening show isnt on, always used to be cheaper before 6
    News to me, never knew they had a digital screen.

But I was at the IMAX in London on sunday (biggest screen in the world) so every cinema I go to now will be compared to that.

• Advertisement

http://www.omniplex.ie/extra/3d/3d.html

Thats from their own site, the 3D movies will probably be a few quid more expensive but itll be worth it, The Final Destination in 3D? that'll be a laugh, cant wait for Up and of course Avatar at the end of the year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Furious_Daz

krudler wrote: »
    Storm has completely gone downhill since it first opened, they dont have a clue how to project a move properly, its always blurry in screen 1, I saw Transformers 2 in there and a big blotch of the screen was out of focus, and in screen 2 one of the speakers up the far right is broken so any time theres any bassy noise it makes awful sounds, the smaller screens arent as bad screen 4 and 7 are always in focus for some reason, so yeah I dont pay for food in there either eat beforehand or just go without, I dont get why people need to shovel food into their face for the duration of a movie anyway, you wont die of starvation watching a 90 minute film!

Did you complain about this to anyone? Happened to me once there too and I went out and had a word with the manager and it was fixed straight away. I couldn't stomach paying those amounts of money to see a film and then have it ruined because I was too polite to open my mouth...

Did you complain about this to anyone? Happened to me once there too and I went out and had a word with the manager and it was fixed straight away. I couldn't stomach paying those amounts of money to see a film and then have it ruined because I was too polite to open my mouth...

The speaker in screen 1 has been broken for months, I've said it before but nobody fixed it, most people just wouldnt notice something like that, sure during the last Pirate of the Caribbean movie the sound went from every speaker except one up the back so you couldnt hear anything going on, and nobody thought it odd, I went out and said it to the manager and it was fixed a few seconds later.

Yet on the other hand I saw Terminator Salvation in screen 7 recently and it was great, perfectly projected and booming sound

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

My wife and I brought our 2 year old daughter to see Ice Age 3 last night in Storm. We got one large 7up, 1 small popcorn, and a bag of malteasers. The whole lot came to €39 (€26.30 for tickets & €12.70 for the food). Very expensive way to treat your child!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,787 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I have a close connection to another Storm Cinema and i have to say i do agree that the prices for food are outragous but i dont agree with telling the staff off. Whats the point in shouting at a staff memeber they cant change anything. Its the suites that decide the prices

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

aye - these decisions would come from a head office, a min-wage worker is in no position to bend the rules for the general public.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

I have never, ever been to the cinema without wearing a large coat with deep pockets......

Apart from the cynical extortion, the food and drink are generally rank anyhow :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

grenache wrote: »
    I went to see Terminator Salvation tonight in Storm. Paid ?7.50 for a student ticket, which was fine. When i asked for a small popcorn, medium fanta and Maltesers pouch, the total came to ?19.20. I wanted to question the guy who served me after the film but no one was around as it was the late showing. Was i over-charged or is ?12.70 the correct pricing for those three food items? Seems incredible that a medium fanta and a small popcorn would both cost over ?4 individually! Especially in a recession.

I'd say the problem is that you were priced for each item individually? If you had gotten a medium popcorn with your medium drink, you may have saved a small bit on a meal deal thing?

Advertisement