Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two inputs, two tracks

Options
  • 27-06-2009 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭

Hi,

maybe someone could put me straight on this please cause I'm kind of confused...

I record with a mate, in a very casual manner - guitars and vocals etc. We've an Zoom MRS-8 eight track digital recorder which is very nice and generally very clever but I just assumed when picking this up that, as there's two inputs, we could record "input one" to "track one" and "input two" to "track two". But that's not the case: input 1 and 2 go on track one together and also on track two together which means if the balance wasn't right when recording there's nothing I can do about it later. Or I can't put a send effect on the vocal and not the guitar, etc etc

Are all eight tracks like that? Is the problem here that I am working with budget equipment? If it is just a case of cheap equipment, are there any recommendations for something portable that would work as I initially expected? I've been browsing the Thomann site the last two days and not making progress and can't seem to get a clear understanding from Google so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

I'd guess 'panning' is your problem.

If you pan Input 1 to the Left it will record on one only and 2 to the right will record on track two.

It's just a guess though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭henessjon

I used to have an mrs 1266

the bigger one

you can record simultaneously on separate trax but if your in the same room bleed over ...I dont know the little one though with 2 inputs.

dont forget your bounce options

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    I'd guess 'panning' is your problem.

If you pan Input 1 to the Left it will record on one only and 2 to the right will record on track two.

It's just a guess though!

No, I tried that. The track parameters don't have any reference I can see to "source" but they do to "Pan" alright. However, all that happens is vocal and guitar go together to the left ear on track one and together to the right ear on track two.
    henessjon wrote: »
    I used to have an mrs 1266
    the bigger one

you can record simultaneously on separate trax but if your in the same room bleed over ...I dont know the little one though with 2 inputs.

dont forget your bounce options

Not sure what you mean by the bounce options? I can only bounce what's already recorded and it's the recording that's the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

What does the manual say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭henessjon

i defer to the manual as well

maybe its a case of send track 1 to 3 and 2 - 4

looks like its 2 into 8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

art wrote: »
    Hi,

maybe someone could put me straight on this please cause I'm kind of confused...

I record with a mate, in a very casual manner - guitars and vocals etc. We've an Zoom MRS-8 eight track digital recorder which is very nice and generally very clever but I just assumed when picking this up that, as there's two inputs, we could record "input one" to "track one" and "input two" to "track two". But that's not the case: input 1 and 2 go on track one together and also on track two together which means if the balance wasn't right when recording there's nothing I can do about it later. Or I can't put a send effect on the vocal and not the guitar, etc etc

Are all eight tracks like that? Is the problem here that I am working with budget equipment? If it is just a case of cheap equipment, are there any recommendations for something portable that would work as I initially expected? I've been browsing the Thomann site the last two days and not making progress and can't seem to get a clear understanding from Google so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

i used to have a MRS1044 a few years back. recorded 2 tracks at once much like the MRS-8. if you just record enabled each channel individually they'd both be patched to track 1. But if you held down the 2 channel record buttons together they'd be assigned to 1 and 2. something like that anyway! So I'd be fairly certain that yours is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Macgoo

I think you need to press two odd or even numbered tracks at the same time. For example 1 and 3 or 2 and 4... See you get on with that... You should download the manual from zoom web site, should all be in that. Boards won't actually allow me give you the site address but its dot co do jp not com

Advertisement