Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Michael Jackson Memorial Moonwalk on Grafton St at 2pm

Options
  • 27-06-2009 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

The Michael Jackson Memorial Moonwalk

The Michael Jackson Memorial Moonwalk
    Will You Be There?
    Host: Dublin Improv Movement
    Type: Music/arts - Performance
    Network: Global
    Date: 27 June 2009
    Time: 13:45 - 14:10
    Location: Gaiety Theatre, South Kings Street to HMV, Grafton Street
    Town/City: Dublin, Ireland

DescriptionIn memory of the King of Pop, Michael Jackson, let's do a moonwalk. Compliments to Ciaran Treacy for the suggestion, by the way.
    Proposal: We meet at The Gaiety Theatre, South Kings Street at 1:45pm to gather and practice our moonwalks. At around 1:55pm we walk around (NOT IN A PACK, but scattered in ones or pairs) to HMV. Keep walking as though you're walking down Grafton Street and when the first of you walk completely passed the HMV store (roughly around 2pm) EVERYONE STOPS, and MOONWALKS backwards, either back up towards St. Stephens Green, or on down Grafton Street. That's up to you, but try to be original. If it seems that most of the crowd are going one way, you should go the opposite.
    Do it slowly, don't rush it, just do as convincing a moonwalk as you can. Here's a link to a training video...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_FzgtLVzbI
    It's best to moonwalk in trainers on a smooth surface, but Grafton Street is a brick-paving. Wear smooth-sole shoes if you have any, or just practice.
    Again, don't be too close to other Moonwalkers, it has to look spontaneaous.
    Text everyone you know who might be on for it, bring them along.
    Invite them to this Event on Facebook.
    Have a great time, have fun. But please remember, the fun should be in the specticle too, so don't be a nuisence to others, don't be pushy.
    And maybe have a thought or a prayer for poor aul Michael Jackson. What an entertainer, what a sad life. May he rest in Peace.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Well, how did it go?? did anyone turn up??

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

But it wouldn't be a moonwalk, it'd be a load of people walking backwards

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Any clips or anything on youtube yet?
    Did it even happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,971 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It's best to moonwalk in trainers on a smooth surface, but Grafton Street is a brick-paving. Wear smooth-sole shoes if you have any
    I thought giant steps are what you take when walking on the moon?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

pretty sad tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,241 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

kona wrote: »
    pretty sad tbh.

A memorial to a dead person is now "sad"? Or are you a philistine?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    A memorial to a dead person is now "sad"? Or are you a philistine?

Its not a memorial.

Its a bunch of sheep copying what they saw on TV coverage of the guys death.

A memorial would be a minutes silence, or perhaps lighting a candle for the guy.

Half the people who attend events like this are just posers who want to have people looking at them. Using a guys death as a excuse to do this is ****ing disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I have a vision of lots drunk white t-shirted skangers/knackers falling over en masse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭sparky360

would it not have been apropriate to touch some kids and then give their parents a load of money to be quiet?

i think personally that would be more of a fitting tribute to the "great" man than walking backwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

sparky360 wrote: »
    would it not have been apropriate to touch some kids and then give their parents a load of money to be quiet?

i think personally that would be more of a fitting tribute to the "great" man than walking backwards

Give it a break will ya.

• Advertisement

Its not a memorial.

Its a bunch of sheep copying what they saw on TV coverage of the guys death.

A memorial would be a minutes silence, or perhaps lighting a candle for the guy.

Tribute to dead person = memorial. Just because you didn't like him doesn't mean the definition actually changes. There's no set-in-stone reason saying it has to be anything speciifc. Someone erected a chair in a park for Dermot Morgan. On the tenth aniversary of his death, someone else put a toy cow there. Does this not count either?
    Half the people who attend events like this are just posers who want to have people looking at them. Using a guys death as a excuse to do this is ****ing disgusting.

If you feel better believeing this, then carry on. Again, it doesn't actually make you right.

Tribute to dead person = memorial. Just because you didn't like him doesn't mean the definition actually changes. There's no set-in-stone reason saying it has to be anything speciifc. Someone erected a chair in a park for Dermot Morgan. On the tenth aniversary of his death, someone else put a toy cow there. Does this not count either?

If you feel better believeing this, then carry on. Again, it doesn't actually make you right.

Read between the lines and dont let all the grief cloud you judgement.

Its is being organised by one of these GOB****ES who organise flash mobs etc.

Id have a very different opinion if it was the MJ fan club or somthing, who organised a group to play his songs and have a good time.

The fact its organised by a bunch of attention seeking ****, who are indeed jumping on the bandwagon. Perhaps they can moonwalk into HMV and buy their first MJ album seen as they are all such "Fans"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Id have a very different opinion if it was the MJ fan club or somthing, who organised a group to play his songs and have a good time.

The fact its organised by a bunch of attention seeking ****, who are indeed jumping on the bandwagon. Perhaps they can moonwalk into HMV and buy their first MJ album seen as they are all such "Fans"

Yeah I agree. I feel an awful lot of people who on Thursday would have been first in the queue with MJ jokes are joining in on this to get attention/jump on the bandwagon etc. Fair enough as you say if it was a fan club, but this is a bit ridiculous. Using a mans death to get attention is very low. It is not that different to people at Glastonbury selling t-shirts to cash in on his death

Don't care for him one way or the other, to be honest.
    Ah, I was right, you're a philistine. Or why do you think that situationist coneptual artists (yes, that's what it is, even if you don't like it) are "gob****es"?
    Doubt it.

Again, you believeing it doesn't mean you@re automatically right. And even if you are, so what? You have to be a card-carrying fan to pay a tribute to someone?

Don't care for him one way or the other, to be honest.

Ah, I was right, you're a philistine. Or why do you think that situationist coneptual artists (yes, that's what it is, even if you don't like it) are "gob****es"?

Doubt it.

Again, you believeing it doesn't mean you@re automatically right. And even if you are, so what? You have to be a card-carrying fan to pay a tribute to someone?

"situationist conceptual artists":D translated into english means, a bunch of pretentious posers.

"situationist conceptual artists":D translated into Philistine means, a bunch of pretentious posers.

FYP

FYP

wow! does making your letters bold, and then putting in FYP, make you more of a higher authority?:rolleyes:, god you must be right if you can go to such lengths:rolleyes:

Any other new words that you learned today and want to apply to anything?

wow! does making your letters bold, and then putting in FYP, make you more of a higher authority?:rolleyes:, god you must be right if you can go to such lengths:rolleyes:

Any other new words that you learned today and want to apply to anything?

...he said, using rollyeyes. Anyway, exactly what does this have to do with my point...?

...he said, using rollyeyes. Anyway, exactly what does this have to do with my point...?

more than your final year project:rolleyes:

more than your final year project:rolleyes:

Ye-ah.... End of discussion.

• Advertisement

Ye-ah.... End of discussion.

I thought that you were cultured, and well educated, as to be as condascnding youd want to bhe.

FYP, means final year project.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I really want a time machine so I (and boards) can back to early Thursday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

where's the vids?

I know some loners think that people done this for attention themselves but I disagree.

I would have loving to have saw it but I didn't. It's a celebration of his life. Nothing wrong with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I thought that you were cultured, and well educated, as to be as condascnding youd want to bhe.

FYP, means final year project.
    It means Fixed Your Post :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Well, this went well.
    :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement