Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How soon to move new dog to outside Kennel

Options
  • 27-06-2009 8:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭

About to pick up a new Golden Retriver puppy aged 9 weeks.

The dog will have access to the house during the day but will sleep outside at night. I know, I've seen all the arugments for keeping dog in at night, but for our family, the dog will be sleeping outside. (Kennel and large secure garden). I appreciate people have other opinions but thats not the advice I'm seeking here.
    My question is how soon should we put the puppy outide at night in his Kennel. I've heard lots of different suggestions, from immediately to 6 weeks. My own view was to keep in the house for 1st week to assimilate to new surroundings and then outside. But perhaps this is making 2 changes for the dog rather than 1.
    Should I put him in new kennel on the 1st night?

Follow up question is what size kennel is right for a GR? Medium or Large? What dimensions would this be?

Appreciate your feedback

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

Haha your the opposite to me(at the moment he'l go outside in a month or two). I have my pup crated at night and out during the day.

I asked the vet when he could be put outside at night and she said after the vaccs would be best just as a precaution so he doesn't pick up anything nasty.

For the kennel is it a male? They get to about 24inches height wise and are classed a medium size dog (similar size to my guy maybe slightly bigger)
    I got a medium kennel from shed world in cork but there medium was similar to most pet shops large size.
    So I'd go for a large medium or a large as you need enough space for them to be able to turn around in fully grown.

Good luck with your pup:D (oh pics????please;) :D:D:D:D)

Advertisement