Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Telescope as a Present

Options
  • 27-06-2009 3:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I want to buy a telescope as a present for my fiance, but know nothing about what I should look for when buying one. He already has a small one, but even just looking at the moon, it has red outlines, is difficult to focus and trying to keep pointed at it is a pain with the earth's rotation.

Can anyone recommend a good telescope for about 500 euro max? I'd like to get a motor for that price also so that he doesn't keep losing something once he finally manages to focus it! Oh, and where's a good place to buy it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

I might get in on this too if you dont mind!

If it helps, I'm looking at the celestron Omni scopes, XLT 102 refractor and 150 reflector. Online going for about 400-450.

I'm not sure what the difference is in terms of viewing quality - I gather the refractor gives finer detail per mm aperture than the reflector?

I've been referred to North Down telescopes before

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

I'll throw my 2 cents in here because you are talking about the Omni XLT 150.

I have owned this scope for about 4 months now.

I started off with a pair of binoculars and learned my way around the Constellations before deciding to spend the money on a scope.

I also got to know how to use a Newtonian reflector(the type that the 150 is) from playing around with a Celestron C-10 in college(admittedly only using it once).

The first thing I will say about this scope is that it is absolutely fantastic.

On Saturday night I had the best observing session yet. I viewed the Andromeda Galaxy, the Ring Nebula and the great cluster in Hercules. All beatiful sights. I have also viewed the Orion Nebula with this scope when I first got it and I was stunned. I have seen the rings and moons of Saturn in this scope and have been in awe.

It is a very solidly constructed telescope and comes with a very reliable CG-4 mount.

I will say it is a LOT bigger than the pictures make it out to be, and I was taken aback by it's size when I first got it.

I would also consider this an investment more than a toy/gift as it's quite a serious piece of kit.

It is a wonderful telescope and if you are really interested in astronomy and want to pursue it as a lifelong hobby then it's an excellent choice.

On the other side of the coin, if you are not familiar with the constellations, or are just half thinking about buying a telescope, I would recommend investing in a good pair of binoculars and learning your way around the sky.

The Omni XLT 150 doesn't come with a motor, but I never really wanted a motor and much prefer to learn my way around the constellations by 'star hopping'.

I can't comment on viewing differences between refractors and reflectors, but I can say I get some very sharp images when looking through the 150.

That's all I can really say going on what you've said.

What type of scope does he have now?

And what type of experience does he have of pointing out constellations/stars etc?

Hopefully that will help.

Hauk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Just got a reply from north down telescopes, and was recommended these:

Skymax 127 Cassegrain

and

EXPLORER-200P 200mm reflector

Am I correct in saying the Cassegrains give sharper images at apparantly smaller apertures by design?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 blue_swallow

Thanks for all your replies. Hauk, that sounds amazing - exactly what I think he'd love. The telescope he has now is a Mead 290 P - 60mm, f/15 refractor. I don't mind spending money on a good telescope now because I know he will use it. The reason I'd like to get one with a motor is just so that he doesn't have the frustration he does now with having to re-find an object every few seconds! It's not a GoTo I'm looking for, just something that will enable him to view an object in comfort once he's found it.

These are what I'm considering at the moment - any comments or advice as a lot of the specs don't mean anything to me?

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p45.html

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p1531_Celestron-Newtonian-200mm-f-5-on-ADM-mount.html

Ah no problem. :) Glad to help.

Okay, the first opinion I can offer is of the second scope. That is a very large scope which is the one I have used before. It's nearly twice the size of the XLT 150. However it pays off with the views it offers.

The first scope, I can't really comment because I have never heard of them(possibly someone else could chime in here).

However, the dimensions of the tube are the same as the Omni XLT 150. So from looking at the XLT 150 here, it has the same focal ratio. This would probably offer similar views to the XLT 150.

The focuser on the first one you linked is a 2-inch Crayford, which means you would need to buy 2-inch eyepieces. The trade off from this is a wider field of view. It's really pro's and cons.

The first scope you linked also doesn't come with a motor drive.

Also, there is nothing stopping him upgrading his kit as he goes along observing. For example, I have the base scope, but plan on adding an eyepiece kit, a new finderscope etc.

Here is a link to a review of the XLT 150

And here is a link to the beginners section on Cloudy Nights. A very resourceful website.

Ultimately the decision is up to you.

Keep asking questions, and read read read read read read!

Hauk :)

• Advertisement

Thanks again, Hauk.

However, just when I thought I had it narrowed down, I find he might like the GoTo option after all. :rolleyes:

So ... with that in mind, what would be the general opinion on this?

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p938.html

This is also in your range:

Celestron Nexstar 102 SLT Computerized Telescope.

Click on 'Images' and you'll see what type of power it has.

Also, so is this: Celestron Nexstar 130 SLT Computerized Telescope

Again, click on 'Images' and see what you think.

I can't really comment on that scope you linked, but I may have used one similar to it before.

Regards,

Hauk

Gosh, those pics are impressive. Even I'm looking forward to a bit of star gazing now!

Heh. Well those are astrophotographs taken with the scope, so the view might be different through the scope(less colour etc). I would call those pictures more of a guidline than anything else because they have been processed and cropped etc.

Hauk :)

Well, would you believe, we've come full circle again regarding the motor. Now a 10" Dobsonian seems to be favoured.

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p42_GSO-Dobsonian-250C---special-offer-model.html

Any opinions?

• Advertisement
Advertisement