Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glendalough?

Options
  • 27-06-2009 12:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭

Was camping down in glendalough last nite and had a terrifying night.

Me and 3 of my friends were camped just inside a forest inbetween 2 empty youth hostels.

At about 3 am we were awoken by the most high pitched and scary shrieking that I've ever heard in my life.

It was far enough away at first but it got progressively closer as we lay in the tent trying to ignore it.

We eventually got so freaked out we abandoned camp and ran to the car which was parked down in the village.

when we got back to camp the next morning we noticed a weird hexogram marking on one of the sli na slainte signs and a carving of a weird looking witch type thing.

We were not 4 lads scared of wildlife or something this was really scary
    Anybody ever experience anything similar in glendalough?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Was cider involved in this incident?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

currythis wrote: »
    we noticed a weird hexogram marking on one of the sli na slainte signs and a carving of a weird looking witch type thing.

Anyone have a camera phone on them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭currythis

No we weren't drinking at all,we had been up hiking all day and just had a bbq when we came down and a few storys round the fire.

I think one of the lads took a pic il see if he'll send it to me

did anyone ever hear of anything similar up there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

That shriek could have been one of many things-a vixen,owl or a rabbit being hunted by the previous two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Where abouts in the area where you? Up towards teh old lead mines beside a river?

• Advertisement

Where abouts in the area where you? Up towards teh old lead mines beside a river?

yeah we were a fair bit away from the river though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

My cat is basically mute all it does is squeak.

One night i heard a noise outside my kitchen, like wailing, its what i imagine a "banshee"* sounds like. after a while i pinpointed where it was coming from,it was my cat (a tom) squaring off against another in my garden, he was making a loud high pitched Wooooooo sound, the type of thing I've never seen a cat (or any animal ) do before.

I brought him inside and gave him some milk.

*if they existed. Which they don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

bigeasyeah wrote: »
    That shriek could have been one of many things-a vixen,owl or a rabbit being hunted by the previous two.

what bigeasyeah said. the images on the sign etc may have already been there before hand but you may only have noticed them after the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Can you give us the exact location hopefulyl someone can check it out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭rororoyourboat

This is a video of two cats wailing - Did it sound anything like that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiKD2B1mvB8

yep was slightly to the left of your arrow where we were camped

didn't sound like cats wailing at all was really high pitched,never heard anything like it in my life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Did it sound like a cross between a human and an animal? At a very high pitch but also gutteral? If so Id wager a sextet of ale that what you heard was a fox or to be more specific,a vixen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

Myself and my Brother went camping in Wicklow a few weeks ago and I saw a Doe, a Deer, a female deer.:Dclever huh.

Yeah well the Doe saw me and it let out this unmerciful scream/sceech.
    It didn't sound like anything I've ever heard in my life. It scared the bejesus out of my Brother, as he never saw it.
    If I hadn't have seen it but heard it and I was sitting by a fire telling scary stories at night while not drinking;) I would have thought it was a Banshee or some otherworldly creature too.

But then again, maybe it was a Banshee.
    You never know. and I'm not mocking you here, I believe.

suey71 wrote: »
    Myself and my Brother went camping in Wicklow a few weeks ago and I saw a Doe, a Deer, a female deer.:Dclever huh.

Yeah well the Doe saw me and it let out this unmerciful scream/sceech.
    It didn't sound like anything I've ever heard in my life. It scared the bejesus out of my Brother, as he never saw it.
    If I hadn't have seen it but heard it and I was sitting by a fire telling scary stories at night while not drinking;) I would have thought it was a Banshee or some otherworldly creature too.

But then again, maybe it was a Banshee.
    You never know. and I'm not mocking you here, I believe.

Didn't see any deers but there was a few goats knocking about when we arrived to the site just as the sun was going down,do they make that sort of high pitched noise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

i know the place your talking about mate.... i stayed in one of those youth hostels.... the first one as you go in. when we were there there was a lot of sheep alright.... farm across the river and they would wander on over to the road and he had a dog now... on one of the days we went up that mountain behind the house , a good fair bit up now but nothing out of the ordinary ... had a look around... down at the houses just sheep... one the other day we went up to the end of the road where the water fall was and climbed that but didn't find anything

this was all about this time 3 years ago... we were up all hours of the morning and didnt hear a peep... just the sound of the river.

was one thing though that kinda creeped me out which was that structure that used to be a building of some kind as you go down the road on the left... that was a bit weird now.

i think this might help you out.... its the website for the area you stayed in and it has a list of all the animals in the area

http://www.wicklowmountainsnationalpark.ie/wildlife.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

I didnt see any goats and wouldn,t know what one sounds like. Which scares City Slickers like ourselves when we venture into DELIVERENCE country.

Hey! Did the sound you hear a sound like a sqeeling pig?:D.

Advertisement