Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone Tether vs PdaNet Tether Speed Test

Options
  • 26-06-2009 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

Just thought I'd share a little experiment I carried out earlier on the iPhone's new tether capability in 3.0 against the PdaNet App from Cydia. Results below:

OS 3.0 Internet Tethering result test 1

504649945.png

and test 2

504650701.png

Now with PdaNet as my Tethering arrangement

504646778.png

And test 2

504648252.png

Now the download speeds are not wildly faster on PdaNet, but they are consistently faster than the 3.0 in-built tether. It begs the question why Apple's own solution is inferior than an App by others?

...these tests are on a 3G and not a 3GspaceS or whatever it's called :P
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭BanjoB

Hi.
    Can u tell me what network u are tethering with and is it ready to go or bill.I'm on vodafone and tethering with it is quite costly on ready to.I wonder Is there a better deal on another prepaid network just to use the tethering??

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭CivilEx

BanjoB wrote: »
    Hi.
    Can u tell me what network u are tethering with and is it ready to go or bill.I'm on vodafone and tethering with it is quite costly on ready to.I wonder Is there a better deal on another prepaid network just to use the tethering??
    As far as I know, 3 offer prepay at €10 per month for 1GB. Depending your location you would need to check if they have coverage though.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

CivilEx wrote: »
    Just thought I'd share a little experiment I carried out earlier on the iPhone's new tether capability in 3.0 against the PdaNet App from Cydia. Results below:

OS 3.0 Internet Tethering result test 1

504649945.png

and test 2

504650701.png

Now with PdaNet as my Tethering arrangement

504646778.png

And test 2

504648252.png

Now the download speeds are not wildly faster on PdaNet, but they are consistently faster than the 3.0 in-built tether. It begs the question why Apple's own solution is inferior than an App by others?

...these tests are on a 3G and not a 3GspaceS or whatever it's called :P

I must be missing something, but based on your posted results there is no consistency one way or the other, the two fastest tests were on two different methods and pings were consistently faster on the built in tether?

Advertisement