Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

engineers report

Options
  • 26-06-2009 8:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

hello all just bought a iveco daily for a camper conversion i am just trying to check out some things before i start work i keep hearing of a engineers report is this the same as a doe and does it have to be done yearly also would i be better off to put minimum requirements in it to see will it clear as a camper with vrt before i spend too much on it and lastly if i do all the work clear it as a camper is it easy to insure or is it more difficult cause its a conversion cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 decci

ok maybe too many questions in one go i will start with one how many times do you have to get a engineers report is it yearly cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

You'll need an engineers report once you first insure it as a camper.*

I would imagine (i.e. not know for sure :D) that a current DOE cert for the van base would be acceptable as such (if your base van has a DOE cert)

*there are (currently unconfirmed) rumours (see other thread) that DOE certs may become compulsory for campers anyway

thanks peasant for reply every bit of info helps

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭liv491

Engineers report has to be done to get insurance in any van conversion has to be done by an approved garage ( SIMI Garage normally accepted by the camper insurance companies )

Also for insurance you have to send pictures of the inside & outside of the van when it is finished. Picture of gas connection & locker must be sent as well.

was justing looking online about gas lockers do they need a external door or are they just a box to keep gas in place also they seem expensive would one fabricated from metal pass for a insurance company

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭liv491

ideally an externallocker door is preferred you are looking at 90 euro for the thetford door that will let you use the proper full size gas cylinder, The small ones are a pain hard to find and expensive to get filled

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭paddyb

decci wrote: »
    was justing looking online about gas lockers do they need a external door or are they just a box to keep gas in place also they seem expensive would one fabricated from metal pass for a insurance company

you dont need a gas locked to get insurance. Mine hangs on a bracket underneath the body

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭OuterBombie

See attached.

I was selling my van last year and needed an engineers report done for the buyer. I went to a DOE center and got the van inspected. They filled in and stamped the attached document.

I don't think the inspection was as complete as a full DOE but they did spot some rust on the chassis that I needed to sort before passing the test.

I think it was about 75 euros to get done.

Ray.

Advertisement