Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New DD-WRT v24 pre-SP2 released (June 09)

Options
  • 26-06-2009 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

For those using DD-WRT on routers, highly recommended beta builds of v24 pre-SP2 have been out for a while which patch a lot of the problems in v24 SP1 (yes, its actually quite problematic). In fact it's recommended that you install these "beta" builds over the supposedly stable v24 SP1 as they are in fact more stable (odd, but they're you go) and the fact is v24 SP1 is no longer recommended.

Check out this forum post on dd-wrt.com:

http://dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=52043

I'm about to do mine tonight and I'll report on what happens...

...and if I don't report then you'll know I've bricked my router and that means ignore everything above.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

Was wondering if I should flash my Buffalo WHR-G300N with it but I think i'll wait another while.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭johnmacward

Checking out the number of nightly builds from BrainSlayer it looks as if they're working pretty quick on a final version so wouldn't be much time to wait.

I've just flashed my Bufallo WHR-HP-G54 and so far everything is looking good. I had literally no problems with V24 SP1 anyway but I'm curious to see if there's anything new in this one. There are little changes here and there for example the way the command section is layed out. WMMS seems to be more complex looking although I never do much with it and there's a new feature "EoIP" - "Ethernet over IP Tunnelling", which sounds VPNish like when I read the description, but without the IP protocol necessarily in use completely "Bridge LAN's over the internet".

It will be interesting flashing two routers with the new version in a place I installed two WHR-HP-G54's in WDS (wireless bridging) mode and it's not always brilliant, if it sorts it out they'll be over the moon.

That annoying thing of not being able to delete specific port-forwards is still there but a lot are screaming about it on the forums so by actual SP2 release we might have an improved port forwarding page.

All pretty nice stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Just upgraded a Linksys WRT54GS to 24 SP1 the other day. Really need to move quicker with these things :o

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭johnmacward

The thing is they're not creating a usable downloads section - in Downloads they have a Bufallo section and dumped in it for the last 80,000 years is 24 SP1 (which by the way is NOT stable according to them) whereas the whole time they are recommending on the forums to upgrade to pre-sp2 which is in some strange directory in Downloads > Others > Eko!. I just happened to notice it because I was having a problem with something so I went to the forums and it was one of the announcements "for Broadcom hardware".

I was given out to a little for reviving a post from a year and a half ago to do with WDS problems. The reason for giving out being that I didn't check the announcements and that the beta firmwares (might) clear up the problem - but the thing is I was going to dd-wrt.com every few months to check for new stuff and to this day v24 SP1 is still in Downloads. So I gave them hell back and felt pretty good about myself. There should be a prominent notice on the homepage entitled "For users of v24 SP1 on Broadcom hardware (Bufallo, Linksys, Asus...) - please upgrade to latest test builds."

Anyway, I'll let the anger dissipate for the moment and then come out into the light.

Advertisement