Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need a licence?/Am I breaking any laws?

Options
  • 26-06-2009 7:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hey guys,

I've gotten plenty of info over the years from boards.ie and you folks really know your stuff, so hopefully you can help me in this matter;

I'm looking to sell some merchandise most suitable for music festivals (umbrellas, ponchos etc). Preferably my aim is to sell by the roadside in the hardshoulder as traffic builds and slows down. What I need to know is do I need a traders licence, a permit from the local council, or am I actually breaking the law?

I'm not looking at huge amounts of product, say 100 items or whatever I can fit in my van, plus some signs and pos to grab a bit of attention from passers by, and the last thing I'd need is the Gardaí pulling in and giving me yards.

Thanks in advance for anything you can help with, much appreciated,

Larry.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Strictly speaking, yes, you'd need a trader licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 LarM

Thats what I was afraid of..

Not so strictly speaking? What are the possible outcomes if I took the risk I sold without the Traders licence. Not that it makes much difference, but I expect to be sold out quite quickly, with low price points etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

I'd imagine you'll get lifted ut of it very quickly, a lot of people pay a lot of money to trade at these events, they are not going to let anyone gatecrash their sales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

AFAIK it's for the local council to enforce so you dojn't have to worry about getting busted by the cops

• Registered Users Posts: 7,550 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Sean_K wrote: »
    AFAIK it's for the local council to enforce so you dojn't have to worry about getting busted by the cops

Actually, they could move on the OP for "causing an obstuction" and if s/he failed to comply, arrest them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

If you're going to be near a main road to the event expect to be told to leave fairly sharpish. Might not happen, but I'd expect it to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭madmik

theres always scores of knackers around croke park selling garbage when theres a big match on

I seriously doubt they would be licenced to do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 LarM

Cool, thanks lads, I think I'm just goin to chance my arm, I already have the stock so if I get moved on I get moved on, I checked out Kildare CC website (for oxegen) and a casual traders licence is €520 for the year... thing is, I only need it for Kildare for the day and they don't seem to issue a day licence like other CCs (plus I'm not selling Irish made stock which is a requirement, so I guess my last point is moot!)... Anyways, I won't be gettin arrested because i certainly won't be refusing to leave if and when the gardaí do drop by...

Take er easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭sneakerfreak

LarM wrote: »
    Cool, thanks lads, I think I'm just goin to chance my arm, I already have the stock so if I get moved on I get moved on, I checked out Kildare CC website (for oxegen) and a casual traders licence is €520 for the year... thing is, I only need it for Kildare for the day and they don't seem to issue a day licence like other CCs (plus I'm not selling Irish made stock which is a requirement, so I guess my last point is moot!)... Anyways, I won't be gettin arrested because i certainly won't be refusing to leave if and when the gardaí do drop by...

Take er easy.

Good man,sell it until youre told not to.My style.

Advertisement