Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you use to clean floor after your pet?

Options
  • 26-06-2009 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭

We have an 11 week old pup who is paper trained but seems to be going on the floor after its washed, guessing its because of the dettol. We got an odour stop for where he goes but im looking for something I can use on the whole floor that wont want him to go everywhere.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

We used dettol wipes and then kitchen paper to wipe over it for our pup.
    She sneezes whenever she's near the wipes or if mother's been cleaning the kitchen.

Does the pup go back to where you cleaned?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

Most of the time but also has a liking for the mop ;) we had him in someone elses house last week he went in the hall was cleaned up with flash about 5 mins later went to the exact spot and went poop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

Tried using biological washing powder mixed with hot water last night (read it somewhere) and he went everywhere so back to dettol for now

I'd be careful what you're putting on the floor though, he may react to certain things, chemicals etc. I know some are very sensitive, as I said my pup sneezes like mad when I used dettol wipes. So I wipe after with kitchen paper and keep her away for a few mins.
    some are allergic to detergents and things.

I've not had a male dog/pup, might it be a marking territory thing? He still can't hold it in (but as you say he's paper trained) so when the floors really clean he can't smell any dog and so goes? I know when we washed the floor properly, Daisy would always wee on it.
    (I assume you lift him and put him outside on the grass when you see him going?)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,516 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Why do you use your pet to clean the floor :confused::eek:

• Advertisement

Funny but come on - be serious - if you've nothing helpful to add, then don't

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

I use Zoflora to clean the floors. Its an antibacterial disenfectant. Suitable for areas where pets are kept once you dont let them lick or walk on the floor when its wet. I foster cats and kittens and find it does seem to stop them going back in the same spot if they have an accident.

Its not that expensive and as you dilute it, it will last ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 nlm1980

sounds like u need to resort to tough love. i love my 2 dogs more than anything. they are nearly 3. one of them is perfectly housetrained, never does anything, but the other one is a brat. i think she has TB. (tiny bladder) i leave her out last thing at night and first thing in the morning.
    when she has an 'accident' i shout at her, there is no point hittin her cos i dont think she'd respond too well to it. but i have a special house outside that she gets fired into for the next few nights until my concionce cant stand it anymore and she seems to cop on for a few months then until her next slip up. i am fair, if i have not left her out for over 8 hours and she does then its my fault. u need to get firm though. u wouldn accept it from a child.
    i know it seems cruel but stickin their nose in and a big shout of bold is a good cure when repeated a few times. it doesn mean u dont love them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

sounds like u need to resort to tough love. i love my 2 dogs more than anything. they are nearly 3. one of them is perfectly housetrained, never does anything, but the other one is a brat. i think she has TB. (tiny bladder) i leave her out last thing at night and first thing in the morning.
    when she has an 'accident' i shout at her, there is no point hittin her cos i dont think she'd respond too well to it. but i have a special house outside that she gets fired into for the next few nights until my concionce cant stand it anymore and she seems to cop on for a few months then until her next slip up. i am fair, if i have not left her out for over 8 hours and she does then its my fault. u need to get firm though. u wouldn accept it from a child.
    i know it seems cruel but stickin their nose in and a big shout of bold is a good cure when repeated a few times. it doesn mean u dont love them.

That's really the dark ages noone should ever stick their dogs nose in it.
    Believe or not some dogs actually cannot help it and can't hold on all night, or if they've had a lot to drink esp. in this weather. It's all right for us humans we can saunter to the loo half asleep at night but dogs are helpless when it comes to needing a pee in the middle of the night. I would prefer a dog to pee on the floor than hold it in and be bursting, that is not healthy for their bladder.

Most dogs can hold it in for about 8 hours or more sometimes which to be honest when you think about it is a long time for an animal but some just can't for whatever reason.

Some dogs also get into a habit and need to be retrained this should not however involve sticking their nose in it or shouting at them! Your suggestions are so wrong for an 11 week old pup as well some dogs bladders take months to mature and accidents are to be expected at that age.

Back to Ops post.

Cleaning wise ensure the floor is dry before the dog goes back on when using Dettol or bleach etc. as mentioned bio washing powder or a mild bleach solution or a shop bought type disinfectant may work Zoflora is good too.

If it's tiles especially hot soapy water can work.

Because we have a smallies we are very careful what we use on the floors don't want our bird inhaling fumes. In general (removing animals first) we use a bucket of warm/hot water with a good squirt of washing up liquid a really good dash of cheap white vinegar and then adding a good few drops of essential oil the more you use the stronger the smell will last.
    We use either lavender, tea tree or orange oil.

If your dog is having problems have you tried the wee wee pads, you can get a tray to attach them too as well, you put some of the dogs urine on it and they go back to that spot, newspaper might work as well.

Your pup is still a baby just keep a routine and as the pup gets older there will be less frequent weeing and the pup will be able to hold it in for longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Demonique

My mother.

• Advertisement

Demonique wrote: »
    My mother.

Unhelpful/off topic comments will not be tolerated

Advertisement