Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best of Training sites

Options
  • 26-06-2009 5:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭

Okay i kind of got this idea after watching 1 or 2 training videos that stood out way above others in terms of content. With thousands of videos across numerous training sites, there is a lot of very average content pumped out. So i think a thread where people point each other towards some of the best videos made would be really nice.

I will start the ball rolling with a recent video from pokersavvyplus:

http://www.pokersavvy.com/plus/videos/ansky-45

Ansky and Aejones! Enjoy

Also riverboatking with a sick deepstacked HSNL vid on deucescracked:

http://www.deucescracked.com/videos/252-riverboatking-1-Deepstacked-6kNL

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Irish Iron

pxf >>> poker

Sheets videos on sng bubble strategy have to the best videos ive watched.
    If anyone's playing sngs regularly I'd highly recommend watching that series of vids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭Mullicker

pxf >>> poker

Please don't post this. If you have a video from pxf that you want to recommend go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭The Snapper

Our very own Hectorjelly's 6 max series on Pokerswat, covers small to mid stakes 6 max on various sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

I was waiting to see if this got any replies before posting but seeing as it looks to have died.

I recently signed up to leggo mainly to have a look at the aejones stuff. His vid's are good but i wasn't as blown away as expected and actually think he gets owned pretty hard by Ansky in the video they do together. I think for anyone that is at a certain level of competency then videos just are not that great. I have been a member of DC, pokersavvy and now leggo and they all trot out the same stuff over and over.

While its interesting to a certain point to see other people play spots and hear their thoughts none of it is revolutionary or anything near it. I think most of them hold back information and don't go into nearly as much depth as they could on concepts or their thought process something to which aejones readily admits too and often his forum threads on the videos are more interesting than watching the video's themselves.

Bluefire stuff seems to be getting great reviews so gonna sign up and have a look at it.

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

I recently cancelled my CR subscription, and TBH, DC and Leggo are going downhill quick lately... I'm thinking of cancelling them both at this stage, keeping Savvy and signing up to BFP.

Although this thread is a good idea, I'd love to see other videos that people thought were good... I personally can't remember any that stood out lately (apart from just about everything by Ansky) and especially in PLO. I just hope ansky takes the bloody game up and starts making vids.

EDIT: Also, IMO aejones is hugely over-rated for making vids, savage player but some of his explanations are just terrible and can be self contradictory at times, his latest video (not the one with Ansky) wasn't great at all (to put it mildly).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

I had a CR sub a while ago and cancelled it since the PLO stuff just wasn't that great, subbed for a month to pokerswat which had some pretty good ones but just didn't go into enough detail on thought processes (of the ones I got to watching). Signed up to BFP now and loving jman's vids.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Irish Iron

can you pay for any of them with neteller or stars anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

Ste05 wrote: »
    I recently cancelled my CR subscription, and TBH, DC and Leggo are going downhill quick lately... I'm thinking of cancelling them both at this stage, keeping Savvy and signing up to BFP.

I've noticed this too, which is a shame cause DC is a very nice place to be. But seems to me they are getting bored. I don't think they understand how terrible most of us are at pokering and really all we want is a stream of solid, basic, up-to-date vids with regular new coaches. KISS.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Although this thread is a good idea, I'd love to see other videos that people thought were good... I personally can't remember any that stood out lately (apart from just about everything by Ansky) and especially in PLO. I just hope ansky takes the bloody game up and starts making vids.

EDIT: Also, IMO aejones is hugely over-rated for making vids, savage player but some of his explanations are just terrible and can be self contradictory at times, his latest video (not the one with Ansky) wasn't great at all (to put it mildly).

i never really got all that much out of videos, i find them really boring, and it seems like such big investment in time for just little nuggets here and there. pokerplayer seems to watch a ridic amount of them tho, i should ask him to write me some cliff notes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭Mullicker

Anyone seen DOGISHEAD (Internet Pokers) vids on Cardrunners? loved every vid he had on DC.

• Advertisement

i never really got all that much out of videos, i find them really boring, and it seems like such big investment in time for just little nuggets here and there. pokerplayer seems to watch a ridic amount of them tho, i should ask him to write me some cliff notes!
    I actually kinda enjoy them TBH, I watch them for entertainment as well as to pick up the little nuggets here and there, I'm hardly posting or reading HH's etc. any more so it's the best way I find for keeping my game relatively sharp. I also watch them as I fall asleep in bed, and I've yet to find something better at getting me off to sleep then a Brian Townsend vid.. :p (even though they've improved lately)

That said apart from the odd person (usually nose bleed guys), I don't watch NLHE vids at all anymore, I watch mynameisgreg ones, I watch all the ansky ones, then I'll also watch the Tommy Angelo Tilting ones, but generally I just watch all the PLO vids I can as that's the game I'm playing these days...

But the main thing I get out of the vids in general is thinking about what the guy is saying and if I disagree with something try and work out why, just like reading forums without having to wade through all the crap posters, not as good not being able to discuss the thought process with the person (I don't generally bother posting in the Vid threads) but I find it helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

opr wrote: »
    I was waiting to see if this got any replies before posting but seeing as it looks to have died.

I recently signed up to leggo mainly to have a look at the aejones stuff. His vid's are good but i wasn't as blown away as expected and actually think he gets owned pretty hard by Ansky in the video they do together. I think for anyone that is at a certain level of competency then videos just are not that great. I have been a member of DC, pokersavvy and now leggo and they all trot out the same stuff over and over.

While its interesting to a certain point to see other people play spots and hear their thoughts none of it is revolutionary or anything near it. I think most of them hold back information and don't go into nearly as much depth as they could on concepts or their thought process something to which aejones readily admits too and often his forum threads on the videos are more interesting than watching the video's themselves.

Bluefire stuff seems to be getting great reviews so gonna sign up and have a look at it.

Opr

Totally agree with this and for the good player they will benefit very little, actually sometimes you will pick up bad habits. A couple of things that annoy me about these sites.

1. costs, I've 12 months membership and its far to dear, I'm getting another 12 months for 200 which is not bad value.
    2. trainers seem to think its ok to eat, leave there mobile on, skype people etc while doing training videos. So unprofessional
    3. no discussion on thought process and most training videos are leak finders or how I play and look how great I am and that **** up I made as a perfectly good reason.
    4. how they run down other players all the time and 99% of the sunday major are donks that sat in.
    5. videos on how to learn new games, there is none of this. They start at far to advance stage for most players.

I could keep going on but I do enjoy watching them and pick up how many times these type of players use 3 betting and how they pick up on weakness in bets etc, but most of this is very common sense.

Cardrunners seems to have the biggest liabary which is a big point.

Ollieboy wrote: »
    5. videos on how to learn new games, there is none of this. They start at far to advance stage for most players.
    Totally agree.

One video I do remember watching ages ago when I was starting out in PLO was this one: http://www.pokersavvy.com/plus/videos/learnedfromtv-1 and I thought it was good to get me going.

It may not be this exactly one but I'm pretty sure it was one of learnedfromtv's first PLO videos (within this series anyway AFAIR). I haven't watched them in ages obviously but I remember at the time it was a good help, also having said that, I was also watching alot of Stinger, sbrugby, and RBK PLO vids, but I just remember these ones standing out and having certain points of the game hit me, it could easily be a combination of them all.

Totally agree.

One video I do remember watching ages ago when I was starting out in PLO was this one: http://www.pokersavvy.com/plus/videos/learnedfromtv-1 and I thought it was good to get me going.

It may not be this exactly one but I'm pretty sure it was one of learnedfromtv's first PLO videos (within this series anyway AFAIR). I haven't watched them in ages obviously but I remember at the time it was a good help, also having said that, I was also watching alot of Stinger, sbrugby, and RBK PLO vids, but I just remember these ones standing out and having certain points of the game hit me, it could easily be a combination of them all.

They should also do more videos about using 3rd party software aswell as pokers software sites and lists of the best value tourneys across all sites along with best value and standard etc. They should try to show people how to get into poker and find the value. A lot of the videos seem to be look at me playing and I'll try to justify everything I do, even when it makes no sense and Im a manic.

I will renew my cardrunner membership because I do like watching the videos when I've spared time during the day.

Ollieboy wrote: »
    They should also do more videos about using 3rd party software aswell as pokers software sites and lists of the best value tourneys across all sites along with best value and standard etc. They should try to show people how to get into poker and find the value. A lot of the videos seem to be look at me playing and I'll try to justify everything I do, even when it makes no sense and Im a manic.

I will renew my cardrunner membership because I do like watching the videos when I've spared time during the day.
    DC had a "tool time" series a while back that went through a few of these things, http://www.deucescracked.com/videos?sort=true&tag=&series=26&game_type=any&seat_limit=any&video_authors=&stakes=any&tables=#video-search-box

Not sure if that'll work, but if not just look up Vids by Series name and check out tool time, it does things like ahk scripts, HM HUD, FT mods, etc. decent enough...

DC had a "tool time" series a while back that went through a few of these things, http://www.deucescracked.com/videos?sort=true&tag=&series=26&game_type=any&seat_limit=any&video_authors=&stakes=any&tables=#video-search-box

Not sure if that'll work, but if not just look up Vids by Series name and check out tool time, it does things like ahk scripts, HM HUD, FT mods, etc. decent enough...

Thanks,

cardrunners did a good series on maths and also pokertracker and 20 minutes poker manager, but I think theres loads more they could do. I just find them a big lazy and there is so much money they could make from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

then I'll also watch the Tommy Angelo Tilting ones

Just watched the first video in this series. Great stuff imo.

Opr

opr wrote: »
    Just watched the first video in this series. Great stuff imo.

Opr
    Yeah it's good. There's also a good podcast with Tommy Angelo as well. Worth listening to also IMO. AFAIK it's free as well for anyone else who isn't a DC subscriber.

Link: http://www.deucescracked.com/podcasts/deuceplays (drop down menu, look for Tommy Angelo)

Advertisement