Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much can you get away with at work?...

Options
  • 26-06-2009 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭

Well, it's pretty quiet in the office which is a good thing because I didn't have time to do it at home...

I've been making jelly shots for tonight :D

It is what it's.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Well I wouldn't get away with that, ya maverick :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Sleep,movies and danger ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Att-tichoo

i have just straightened my hair and painted my nails at my desk...boss is in a meeting and he's male so will prob not notice my sudden curl free do!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

jackncoke wrote: »
    danger ****
    thanks I just tried that.... now I'm ****ing jobless*.

*unrelated issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

I get away with anything I want!

I know where the bodies are buried. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

what about all ye fúcking waster posting on boards? that'd be a fireable offence if i had employees

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Self employed...can get away with anything I want. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,993 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

oneweb wrote: »
    Well, it's pretty quiet in the office which is a good thing because I didn't have time to do it at home...

I've been making jelly shots for tonight :D

It's a pity the bankers didn't stick to making jelly shots instead of heaving sacks of cash into their 4 wheel drives.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

what about all ye fúcking waster posting on boards? that'd be a fireable offence if i had employees

Being allowed to go online at work is supposed to improve productivity

http://www.itproportal.com/portal/news/article/2009/4/2/surfing-facebook-and-twitter-work-good-productivity-says-boffins/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

I normally get away with a few biros the odd day. I have my eyes set on a nice plant I hope to take soon.

• Advertisement

http://www.officepolitics.co.uk/stationery.html

Stationery - cupboard love

Stationery cupboards are the sweet shops of office life. They're a sort of colourful pick and mix of lots of nice little things that you don't really need but you nevertheless keep helping yourself to them until your desk looks like a small branch of W H Smiths.
    Hardback notebooks are top on the list of removables. You use the first page and then lose interest on the second because the paper isn't quite so squeaky clean. Also available are huge hole punchers that could perforate a rhino's scrotum. It's only when you've punched holes through every document within five yards of your desk that you realise the hole spacing is only compatible with filing systems in old Soviet Bloc countries.
    Another hot item in the stationery cupboard is highlighter pens. These highlight the useful and important parts of documents and prove that 90% of most documents are neither. 'Things to do' pads go like hot cakes because they give the impression that you're getting organised. Stationery is in fact a work substitute and you'll notice that the first three things you write on your 'Things to do' pad are '1. Highlight documents. 2. Punch holes in documents. 3. Staple documents.'
    So much is stolen from stationery cupboards that they have to be protected behind signs which say 'High Voltage. Danger of Death.' Sadly these signs are also stolen and stuck on the desk of volatile managers as a bit of a joke.
    There is a certain virgin sweetness about stationery items which is evidenced by people's resistance to reusing old lever arch files marked 'Bought Ledger 1974'. Inevitably, some office workers develop quite a fetish for stationery. It's not unheard of for someone working late to pop into the stationery cupboard and find the Sales Director sitting inside, stark naked, covered head to foot in Post-it notes.
    Key learnings:
    • No-one has ever come out of a stationery cupboard empty handed
    • Except in Saudi Arabia
    • Where you can steal from the stationery cupboard a maximum of twice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

When I was working in a pub many moons ago on a particularly quiet night I can recall serving about three customers then spending the rest of the night drinking and smoking. With the pub actually empty for the last half hour of opening hours we were playing pool for the remainder of the night. I miss the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

More than the average person :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭sneakerfreak

Self-employed so everything,Im the boss!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

TheZohan wrote: »
    Self employed...can get away with anything I want. :)
    No need to brag!!;)

I can get away with SFA!!! Im a mechanic and Im the only one in the job with the bosses so all the pressure is on me so I cant even get away and hide!
    .....................................................C'mon Lotto numbers!!!!!!:D

Dean09 wrote: »
    No need to brag!!;)

I can get away with SFA!!! Im a mechanic and Im the only one in the job with the bosses so all the pressure is on me so I cant even get away and hide!
    .....................................................C'mon Lotto numbers!!!!!!:D

I've seen garages where employees have nicked enough stuff from the parts department to rebuild their cars from the ground up. You should go and work for a main dealer where there are more opportunities to get yourself a criminal record.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I've seen garages where employees have nicked enough stuff from the parts department to rebuild their cars from the ground up. You should go and work for a main dealer where there are more opportunities to get yourself a criminal record.:pac:

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I'm the boss, keep the ideas coming, so i'll know what to look out for and act accordingly.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭uriah

galwayrush wrote: »
    I'm the boss, keep the ideas coming, so i'll know what to look out for and act accordingly.;)

I am a public-service worker and I have no time to think of 'getting away with' anything. Going online (for personal reasons) during working hours? You must be joking! Where would you find the time?
    As for stealing from an employer - I cannot believe that it is common practice.

Always amazes me when I read over discussions on this and another forum to notice the number of people posting while at work.
    Does anybody have a conscience anymore?

what is this job you speak of?

• Advertisement

uriah wrote: »
    As for stealing from an employer..i do not believe that it is common practice.

I am a public-service worker and I have no time to think of 'getting away with' anything. Going online (for personal reasons) during working hours? You must be joking! Where would you find the time?

Always amazes me when I read over discussions on this and another forum to notice the number of people posting while at work.

LMAO

• Registered Users Posts: 81,916 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Posting on boards?

This is only my 2nd day. I really should be on the e-learning program. Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Because everybody knows that those in public-service positions damn near break their balls every minute of every day for their country! :rolleyes:

Because we employ the government and they steal from us, it's only natural for people to steal everything that they can from their own employers. That's why things are bolted down.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭uriah

Fizman wrote: »
    Because everybody knows that those in public-service positions damn near break their balls every minute of every day for their country! :rolleyes:

And I thought private-sector workers worked under great stress and risked being fired for being unproductive or dishonest.
    Seems we were both wrong.

This public service worker and colleagues work when they are supposed to be working - sometimes running over into lunch-time as well.

And they do not send private emails or post on discussion boards during working hours. And I have never stolen anything from my employer.
    I doubt if many people do.

I thought that was the way things were supposed to be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

Because we employ the government and they steal from us, it's only natural for people to steal everything that they can from their own employers. That's why things are bolted down.

only for that their would be a few extra computers lying around the house :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I've seen garages where employees have nicked enough stuff from the parts department to rebuild their cars from the ground up.

One piece at a time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Sweet FA, no internet access, no email access... and I work on a computer... no personal calls. Have to ask to go the toilet or for a smoke... oh the joys of working in a call centre...

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Steo46

We have 5 minute work breaks every 2 hours. The rest of the time is spent surfing and drinking tea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

niallon wrote: »
    When I was working in a pub many moons ago on a particularly quiet night I can recall serving about three customers then spending the rest of the night drinking and smoking. With the pub actually empty for the last half hour of opening hours we were playing pool for the remainder of the night. I miss the pub.

Pub I used to work in was dead all week until Thursdays. I would open up at around 3:30 and literally have no customers until closing at 11:30. Spent the entire time playing pool with whoever was working in the off-licence, going to the shop and watching The Simpsons on a big screen. :D

Advertisement