Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sound problems on tv3 tg4 analog aerial

Options
  • 26-06-2009 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

hi. i moved to kilmessan and bought a cheap wideband aerial to receive the irish channels. i think i was pointing the aerial tward CLERMONT CARN, because it is verticaly aligned and the freq match up. anyway, 1 and 2 are perfect, 3 and 4 are a little snowy but very good with the only problem being the sound drops out of 3 and 4 for a second or 2.
    even though the picture is better the sound is annoying and i had to move the antenna to point out to the north / middlands somewere which is a weaker signal.

their are trees in the line of site, could this be causeing the problem? i can only get the antenna up another 5 or 6 ft which would just about clear the tree line.

just a quick second question, with the antenna pointing tward CLERMONT CARN in horz alignment i can just makout the bbc channels coming in and out of snow, would a mast amp make these channels watchable? i figure the signal would be to weak but since i am posting i figured i would ask someone who would know lots more then me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭dizzydiesel

Which mast is best for receiving digital in Kilmessan?

Cairn Hill or 3 Rock? Or other?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

hi. i moved to kilmessan and bought a cheap wideband aerial to receive the irish channels. i think i was pointing the aerial tward CLERMONT CARN, because it is verticaly aligned and the freq match up. anyway, 1 and 2 are perfect, 3 and 4 are a little snowy but very good with the only problem being the sound drops out of 3 and 4 for a second or 2.
    even though the picture is better the sound is annoying and i had to move the antenna to point out to the north / middlands somewere which is a weaker signal.

their are trees in the line of site, could this be causeing the problem? i can only get the antenna up another 5 or 6 ft which would just about clear the tree line.

just a quick second question, with the antenna pointing tward CLERMONT CARN in horz alignment i can just makout the bbc channels coming in and out of snow, would a mast amp make these channels watchable? i figure the signal would be to weak but since i am posting i figured i would ask someone who would know lots more then me.

Try setting the sound on the TV3 and TG4 channels to mono instead of stereo (nicam). the ordinary FM mono sound is much more stable even if the quality isn't perfect.

Also, Kippure in the Dublin Mountains would probably offer a better signal. The higher ground around Slane and all the way to the north of Collon in Co. Louth is in between you and Clermont Carn. You'd only get a poor signal on the UK channels, it would manage colour but it would be quite snowy even with a proper group A aerial. With a massive aerial on top of a 30 ft mast you could get an ok result, but it's not worth that compared to getting a FTA satellite box and dish for less than €200.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭emaherx

Its worth trying a mast head amp as they are not expensive.
    I live not far from you and receive channels form NI with a Loft Aerial and Mast Head Amp. Although I woud have a better line of sight than Kilmessan.

the Amp may improve your reception of Irish channels also

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭patrickspicture

forgot about this cause i posted it ages ago.
    got a halfway decent signal from CLERMONT CARN since the leaves fell off the trees.

to answer the message about digital, i can get rte digital pointing@ CLERMONT CARN with lots of drops. i was also able to get it pointing to the midlands with a booster. so if you pointed it at clermont carn with a booster you should get a good signal. i don't have a clear view of dublin so i don't know if those transmitters will work better.

Advertisement